YouTube = Downfall of Music ...

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
... and of society, in general.

I've been recorded on all of two CDs, over my long and illustrious career. I know many folks here have been featured or part of a group on many, many albums. I also know that a lot of people here play gigs and such.

How do you feel about being recorded by someone and having your work thrown on YouTube?

For what it's worth, I've heard of at least two different bands in the past couple of weeks that I now want to buy albums from because of what I've heard on YouTube. I'd also like to know if I'm in the minority or majority for that.

I get to answer my own thread, too!

I would have enjoyed it if SOME of the tracks from the CDs I was recorded on were on YouTube to a) get some interest going and b) hopefully get more sales. However, I'd want the stuff posted to be from some official entity that was associated with making said CDs. If someone else posts it, I'd probably want it taken down. (I was of this opinion when people were quoting large swaths of saxpics.com on eBay and not crediting me and not asking permission.) Even though I was just a bit part on the CDs, it was still a lot of work. Pay me for my work. That's my opinion.

Of course, if you've got a music clip that you can't contact the performers/composer, that's different and I think you should ask the YouTube management before posting. Public domain stuff and fair-use copyright stuff is also different. I also don't necessarily see a problem with posting TV clips/adverts, particularly stuff that's been on free TV. Legalness may vary with my opinion (I haven't checked), but it's my opinion.

I've already answered the second "question" I posed: I do buy CDs/MP3 downloads because of what I hear on YouTube. I also encourage folks to do the same.

me too

I am on no CDs ... and can't figure out how to film/record myself and, even if I could, I doubt that I'd manage to get/load it on YouTube. - Now if someone recorded me, alone or in a group, and put it on without my knowledge I think I might be a bit er ... um ... uh (can you say pissed off in the forum?) disturbed (yeah, that's a good word for it).

But, and that's a big but too, I - like you - have bought a number of CDs due to having watched/listened to various performers and/or groups on YouTube. I first found the Quintessence Saxophone Quintet there, now one of my favorite groups, along with Raaf Hekkema doing the Paganini Caprices, the Six Brown Brothers, and etc. ... and etc. ...

I have been recording hobbyists and posting to YouTube for a while now. I do get a lot of very happy musicians who thank me. And we sell DVDs three to four times a year in the various groups I work with. So far, knock on wood, no one has complained about be a part of an ensemble group who was recorded and had that performance made public.

I've also recorded some professional groups and even had them ping me to use the video on their web sites. I've also been asked not to record as I always ask first.

There are performances I've played in that I would be very embarrassed if they were made publicly available. I suppose it is only a matter of time before these dismal performances find their way to YouTube or Facebook. I'm not sure how bad it would have to be for me to ask that it be pulled. But I would have no qualms about having my name disassociated with such a video. Maybe that's just me.

I think youtube is a good medium for exposing new/upcoming/non mainstream performers.

It's also good for old stuff that's not available or really difficult to find.

I also buy music because of what I've seen/heard there. To me it's easier than walking into a music shop and standing around for ages checking music out. It's also bee instrumental in convincing me that my teenage daughter has no idea what music is, despite playing the cello.

But mostly the quality is dire and many clips download very sluggishly. Which encourages people to buy as well...

More sensible CD/DVD pricing (especially in Europe) would encourage people to buy as well.

But there's an element that doesn't want to pay for anything. And youtube is just one of the many ways they sponge and avoid paying. Not good. It's how to tackle them, not how to tackle youtube, that's the issue.

Back
Top Bottom