Search results

1. saxhound

Question

Here is a link about the rules for our marketplace. I think you will find that most online forums have similar rules. Sax On The Web requires (I think) 6 months and 50 posts. I don't know about Amati clarinets, but if the saxophones are pro quality (Selmer Paris, Yansgisawa, Keilwerth, some...
  2. saxhound

Tenor sax mouthpiece on Alto Clarinet?

Fixed it.
  3. saxhound

DIY repad on a selmer 10G bflat

Depending on your location, I would figure on $400 to $500 for a professional overhaul. Perhaps less if a small independent shop. Kessler Music in Las Vegas says $450 plus more if any keys need to be re-fitted.
  4. saxhound

Buffet Serial Numbers

Take a look here: http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/buffet-serial-numbers.26705/
  5. saxhound

Clarinet replacement barrels - how to pick one?

A little more info would help. 1. Why do you think you need a replacement? 2. Is the current one damaged / cracked? 3. Does it not play in tune? 4. If it doesn't play in tune, what is the end to end length in millimeters? 65 or 66 mm is kind of the standard, but there is some variance there. I...
  6. saxhound

The wonders of Teflon tape

Edited for foul language.
  7. saxhound

I'm not dead, yet.

Ooooh. I didn't think to check my old Franklin Planner. I did have a pocket for the Palm there. Maybe it's in the same box that I can't find.
  8. saxhound

I'm not dead, yet.

Somewhere in a moving box in my storeroom, I have a Palm Pilot III (1999), the charging / data transfer dock, and a CD of the software. If the battery hasn't died, I bet it will still work, but I need to find a computer with a serial port to connect the dock.
  9. saxhound

I'm not dead, yet.

I can't believe I used to haul a Compaq Portable (28 lbs.) back and forth to work on the train.
  10. saxhound

Old (New Old Stock) Reeds - Usable?

Here is the section on sales ---->The Mall Quick answer is you have to have 25 (substantive) posts before you get permission.
  11. saxhound

New ligature advice

I didn't buy a dozen, but I've been playing the same one for over 20 years.
  12. saxhound

New ligature advice

I like the Luyben. Reasonably priced, simple design and nearly indestructible.
  13. saxhound

What is the quietest woodwind?

If you really want quiet, you might consider an EWI. You can play an electronic wind instrument directly into headphones with absolutely no external noise. A good one will be able to replicate a lot of the woodwind instruments (and more). Unfortunately, this doesn't really replicate playing a...
  14. saxhound

Synthetic oboe reeds

I'm also a fan on the lower horns. Never had much success on clarinet, but like them on tenor & bari sax and bass clarinet. Alto sax is sort of OK, but I don't play much alto these days. I am upset that Fibracell quality is so poor after using them for years. They changed something and refuse to...
  15. saxhound

WhT year was this instrument made?

If you go to this page and scroll down to Harmony Clarinets, 24897 is listed as 1991, so that fits with time frame.
  16. saxhound

jbtsax

jbtsax (John Talcott aka saxoclese) passed away yesterday. He was active here for quite a while, but hasn't been around for a year or so.
  17. saxhound

What is the highest possible note you can play on the Clarinet

C or D is possible. C# is very difficult to play. I suppose if you squeezed out an overtone by clamping down or biting you might get an E or F, but it would be very thin and ugly sounding. When my chops were more in shape I could play a C scale up to the double C with no difficulty. Could never...
  18. saxhound

Fingering help

That's a rough passage. I would mostly use the alternate F# fingering (1-2-3-4 +6 on the sliver key) but the first (and every) C# to that F# fingering is a bit ugly. In measures 61 and the first half of 62 (and also 63 & 64) I would revert to the traditional F# (1-2-3-5). That ten-tuplet in 69...
  19. saxhound

Contra Alto Clarinet Pads??

I would check with Curt Altarac at Music Medic.
Back
Top Bottom