Search results

1. geauxsax

Rudy Wiedoeft is calling to me

Zombie thread alert and apologies. JBT---did you get the Rudy going?
  2. geauxsax

cool clarinet music in chalumeau range

Looking for recommendations for "lounge lizard" genre music in chalumeau register for Bb sop clarinet. Preferably something I can find on Youtube. I was listening to just such music (recorded, not live) a couple of weeks ago at a club in southern France and really liked it. The clarinet...
  3. geauxsax

Martin made Lyon & Healy "Perfect Curved" sop

Hey Pete, From the pictures I've seen (admittedly not many) of the "Perfect Curved" sop, two things really stand out as different from Martin, and more in keeping with Couturier manufacture: The very distinctive and odd "L-shaped" G# on the LH table, as seen on Couturier/L&H horns, The alt...
  4. geauxsax

What is your tenor setup?

1949/50-ish Buescher 156/Big B with Morgan 6M, Rovner light, and Rico Royal 3's and 1930 Holton Revelation (Elkhorn) with modern Berg Larsen 110/0/M, stock lig, fibracell reed also, rico plasticovers, an EZ-modded Link STM with a stock lig (.113), Couf 9*S, and a Holton 241 tenor with some...
  5. geauxsax

Martin made Lyon & Healy "Perfect Curved" sop

Made by Martin, or by Couturier? Lots of L&H saxes (not the Buescher-made horns) get lumped in as Martin stencils when they're actually Couturiers, given the bevelled tone holes. Also, since Holton acquired Couturier around 1928, maybe these are the same horn with just some evolutionary key...
  6. geauxsax

A Discussion About YAGE

I've got a yaging headache . . ."And you, my father, there on the sad height, Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray. Do not go gentle into that good night. YAGE, YAGE against the dying of the light." (apologies to Dylan Thomas):geezer2:
  7. geauxsax

SOTW's down. Are we currently Number 1?

The repetitive nature of those type of questions was the main point, and the notion that the forum could be condensed to 20% or so of it's size. Anyway, If I strip off the finish of my sax, will it make the tone brighter or darker?
  8. geauxsax

SOTW's down. Are we currently Number 1?

You missed "has anybody ever tried a tenor reed on an alto?" (and various other combos)8-) and "which mouthpiece should I use for marching band?" I'm still trying to get used to the new SOTW forum. I've also had it not display new posts a couple of times.
  9. geauxsax

heres a good holton saxaphone

Pete, There's two separate Collegiates that I know of--the earlier version (a "second line" horn, based on the earlier Revelation/Elkhorn, with updated keywork such as same-side bell keys and a bigger LH pinky cluster), which I think the Gretsch stencil basically is, and then the later...
  10. geauxsax

heres a good holton saxaphone

Pete, We beat around the possible Martin connection to Holton on SOTW--and found nothing. I'm thinking that the soldered tone holes the two companies used had a lot to do with any supposed connection. As far as stenciled Holtons (e.g. made by others for Holton), same thing until you get to a...
  11. geauxsax

Bundy?

I don't dispute any of this, Pete. I'll say it again--the Kessler, etc is probably thge better bet here. You're absolutely right about the Bundy being an inexpensive student horn built to take a beating. Another good point made by more than one is that they're not made new anymore anyway. My...
  12. geauxsax

Bundy?

My Bundy II sounds pretty decent IMHO, is mouthpiece friendly, and has great intonation. No, it's not the end-all, beat all, and the Kessler is probably the better bet for several reasons, but concerning the Bundy II: Don't they have a True Tone body tube essentially? If so, why wouldn't they...
  13. geauxsax

Rico Metalites coming back in the next 12 months

I wonder if they'll be the "pebble finish" or the "smooth" finish. Also, I think I'm alone in liking the alto version the best, although I don't play Bari (yet;-)) so I can't comment on the Bari pieces. I've got sop, alto, tenor (x2) and Bb clarinet. The only one I don't like is the clarinet...
  14. geauxsax

American Standard High Grade Sax pre White buy out 1918ish

Holtons have really thick tone holes (until the late models that switched to drawn holes). Soldered on like Martins, but not bevelled.
  15. geauxsax

whos from sotw?

Geauxsax there, Geauxsax here. Nice to see familiar faces.
Back
Top Bottom