Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

1820s-1850s Flute- H. something, Leipzig (?)

Discussion in 'Concert flute' started by TrueTone, Aug 27, 2016.

1. TrueTone

TrueTone Clarinet, Sax, Oboe, History

So I went personally to the estate sale my mom bought me the Conn 444N Clarinet at. (amongst a book by Bonade, a Conn Bugle, an IDRS program, and some records, amongst some other stuff)
    Most of the stuff was sold already (including both an Oboe and a nice looking Pan-Am Alto, both of which were already sold on the first day.)
    But this flute was still there under some sheet music in a bin, probably because of a crack in it.
    Has 5 keys (technically 6 but two activate the same tone hole)
    Keys are set into extensions from the wood, mainly which is why I came to that date.
    I'll take pictures when I get home.
    Seems like it's worth the $20 I spent on it.
    EDIT: I hate USB cords.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Gandalfe likes this.
  2. TrueTone

Aha!
    Found what looks like the same makers' mark on a Clarinet on ebay, construction appears rather similar also:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-W-N...et-with-Nickel-Keys-wood-ISI600-/302103918084
    The Linz makes sense, as I was assuming it from it saying L..Z it was Leipzig.
    The H in that looks like it could be a W, also.
    I also apparently am rather unreliable at actually posting pictures when I say I will. =P

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  3. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

4. TrueTone

An update, 2ish years later:
    I'v researched this some more since then, and have this:
    Its definitely German, not Austrian.
    I can't read it very well still, but I'm not sure the first letter in the 2nd line is an L, but Leipzig makes sense, considering about halfway through a letter looks like a Z, and it looks like early 19th century flutes from Dresden and Leipzig. The first letter on the first line is definitely an H or a K, though.
    Also, it looks extremely like this flute:
    http://www.originalflutes.com/german-flutes/anon-6-key-flute.html
    Not exact, but at least very similar.

Gandalfe likes this.
  5. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Admin and all around good guy. Staff Member Administrator

6. TrueTone

Don't think I ever sent any of the pictures I took, these are from like a year ago but still about the best I can do probably, it's really hard to see the logo.
    I'll take a few brighter looking pictures tomorrow though, along with a good picture of the headjoint.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gandalfe likes this.
  7. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Admin and all around good guy. Staff Member Administrator

Gorgeous. And becoming so rare. It's the kind of instrument I like to show up with to shock the director. ;)

TrueTone likes this.
Our staff's websites: