A cheaper alternative to the Vandoren B40 for a chalumeau

Hi
This is my first post here. :)

I recently bought a cheap ($40) Thomann chalumeau. This is my very first wind instrument as I've never played one before, so I'm a complete beginner. The reason I bought a chalumeau and not an entry level clarinet is mainly because I find the sound of the chalumeau somehow closer to a duduk, which I love. And although I find it very challenging to play so far I enjoy my chalumeau. But I saw a lot of people on the internet saying that the mouthpieces on these inexpensive Thomann chalumeaux are of bad quality and because of that the learning process is more difficult. Also, I've read some comments saying that in order to get a more warmer and softer sound from the chalumeau, one that is even more close to the duduk sound, a Vandoren B40 is recommended. The problem is a Vandoren B40 is over my budget at the moment.

So my question is: can you please recommend a beginner-friendly mouthpiece that would help me get a more duduk-like sound out of my chalumeau and that is also less expensive than a B40?

Cheers!

using WWBW.com to see prices the B40 is about $100.
A good inexpensive alternative is the Yamaha mpc, which runs about $50.
Clark Fobes Debut mpc are around $35
those are two good and consistent lower cost mouthpieces. Although they may not be as warm/soft tonally as the B40

but, i'm not familiar with dudaks
looking it up a dudak is actually a double reed instrument with a sound close to an english horn.
So using a chalumeau to make it sound like an english horn ?
I'm not sure what to recommend.

Thank you Steve! I appreciate the help! :emoji_hugging:

I'll probably go with a Yamaha 4C or 5C. Unfortunately the Clark Fobes mouthpieces are not available in my country, but I guess a 4C or 5C should do the trick for now as they are considered very beginner-friendly and of very decent quality.

The sound of the duduk (not "dudak" :emoji_relaxed: ) is somewhere between an english horn and a clarinet but much closer to the chalumeau's sound.

From the internet:
"The duduk is a traditional double-reed instrument from Armenia. But the sound is not typical of a double-reed instrument like the shawm or oboe. Rather, it produces a warm, soft low tone, rather like the chalumeau."

Back
Top Bottom