Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

A New Type Of Bass Saxophone Stand

... Because he knew a lot of bass players doubled on bari--or bari players doubled on bass.
That's actually an interesting comment.

I don't always play sax, but when I do, I prefer bari. Stay saxy, my friends.

OK, with the joke out of the way, I can say that I've played all of one concert on bass. I did lug my YBS-52 along with the bass (Conn New Wonder) for said concert, but that's only because the Conn was in sad shape and was overly difficult to play, so I only played it for the pieces that were too low for a bari. However, if I had a good bass, I think I'd rarely have to pull out a bari for a gig, if ever. Part's in Eb? Transposition time! The tone is pretty similar, too.

The other thing is price. A new non-Chinese/Taiwanese pro bass starts in the $13K range (Orsi). Vintage horns in good shape are a minimum of $6K. A new non-Chinese/Taiwanese pro bass starts in the $6K range, with vintage ones in good shape for less than half that. If I really was going to do a lot of bass stuff and had a budget, I'd skip the bari. Maybe buy an OK "lesser known" vintage bari somewhere down the road.

Glad you found it Kev. Yes, all the articles are very much still in my blog. Also, I have a page dedicated to the stand on my website.

FWIW, this is the best bass stand, bar none, that you will ever use. I've tried the SaxRax, and they're nice, but they don't even come close to Andreas' stand.

I just had an interesting email exchange with Andreas about his stands. He is currently selling more baritone than bass versions. Kinda' makes sense when you think about: there are obviously more bari players than there are bass players. That said, I think it caught him a bit off guard, because he designed the bari stand 2nd, and only because he knew a lot of bass players doubled on bari--or bari players doubled on bass.

Ta. Blog's a touch confusing cos 3 pages are in one and in reverse order. And then there's one on it's own. But it's really good info, thanks. Bari's a thought. I just bought an old Dolnet Bari (Beaugnier stencil) and getting the right angle on the mouthpiece is proving tricky. This would solve it. Maybe, once I've got lots of money...

Ta. Blog's a touch confusing cos 3 pages are in one and in reverse order. And then there's one on it's own. But it's really good info, thanks. Bari's a thought. I just bought an old Dolnet Bari (Beaugnier stencil) and getting the right angle on the mouthpiece is proving tricky. This would solve it. Maybe, once I've got lots of money...

i am quite a newbie, so actually i only know bari.
thinking of getting some thing good for my saxophone, but trying not to overspend on a saxophone stand
ah the dilemma.

i am quite a newbie, so actually i only know bari.
thinking of getting some thing good for my saxophone, but trying not to overspend on a saxophone stand
ah the dilemma.

Do you want a stand to play the horn out of? Or just a stand to hold your horn?

Andreas' stands are absolutely the best--basically the Rolls Royce or Bentley of saxophone stands. That said, even though bari is my main horn, I don't use my stand for bari. It is set up only for bass. I don't have the bari horseshoe needed. The stand is so heavy, I couldn't imagine taking it, as well as the horn and the rest of my gear, to wherever I'm going--be it a rehearsal or shows.

That said, there is NO BETTER protection for your $10,000+ saxophone. If you just dropped all this cash on a Selmer Series III or II bari, you will want the best protection $$$$ can buy. Andreas' bari stand is just that.

Also, if my homelife weren't as quite as it was--read: if I had kids running around, or I still had dogs that moved around my practice space--I would use Andreas' stand in my studio. I would be heartbroken if my minty Committee III bari were to take a tumble out of its stand.

Let's face it, if you drop serious coin on a horn, you don't want to cheapen out on a stand. If you do, eventually your luck will run out, and your horn will end up falling onto the floor. Your tech will like the payday, but you will not, and your horn may never be the same again.

Since I prefer to play bari using a strap or harness (depending on which horn I'm playing, and what mood I'm in that particular day), I use the K&M stand I've had for years.

Another brand that is very popular is the Hercules bari stand. Not sure if it works for low Bb horns, one would have to check before one buys it, but Hercules stands are great products at reasonable prices.

If you want to play your horn out of the stand, that's a different conversation, so let me know, and I'll have to dig up the details. There are a few options--besides Andreas'.

Back
Top Bottom