A Trip to the Musical Instrument Museum

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Obligatory linky: http://themim.org

I went there today, with my mother and her husband (a violinist) who were visiting from Buffalo, NY: I had a gift card that had been given to me as a Christmas present and that adequately covered the price of admission.

In the future, I'll do more of a write-up and add some pics (with captions!) on my blog, but I just wanted to mention that I went there -- and give you my overall opinion, which is ... it was OK, I guess.

There were a few things that I really didn't like:

* A LARGE percentage of the instruments were 20th/21st century reproductions. I'm sure that the major reason for this is because it keeps costs drastically lower, but it makes me feel like the instruments aren't quite as authentic.

* A good percentage of Island and African instruments were made out of "found" objects, like metal bottle caps and metal coffee cans. This could have been a great way to talk about how indigenous instruments are being affected by more modern countries or something like that, but there was absolutely zip about that anywhere: you are given a headset and player to walk around with. There were only a couple exhibits where the player actually said anything about the instruments or the people that used them. The were more there for audio samples of the instruments.

* A lot of the instruments were in exceptionally poor condition. I've attached two pictures to this post: a Conn-O-Sax from 1928 and an Adolphe Sax (Adolphe-Edouard, the son of the inventor) tenor sax. The Conn-O-Sax looked ... wrong. While the picture looks like the horn's bare brass, it looked almost like copper in real life. It's not supposed to. The AE Sax horn is badly, badly oxidized -- but I could probably make it shine with a couple hours and some non-abrasive silver polish. These are just examples. I saw a lot of stringed instruments missing strings and such, and other instruments with obviously broken parts. I think one of the reasons for the poor state of repair is because all these instruments are just hanging on walls or lying on tables. They're out in the open for people just to touch.

* Some of the scholarship is abysmal. For instance, the Conn-O-Sax (as mentioned above) is listed as being patented in 1914. Erm. No. That's the William S. Haynes patent for forming toneholes, which is the process Conn used. The horn was made around 1928. Another example: the little info card for the Adolphe Sax soprano says "1864" when the horn is clearly stamped "1866." While you might say this is nit-picky, you have to think what I did: "If they screwed up these, which other instruments are also screwed up?" Example: one of those $20 saxophones from "Singapore" that's listed as an indigenous instrument.

* There were also at least 30 empty exhibits. "Coming soon!"

However, it was fun seeing all these exhibits, and I did see interesting stuff and learned things: for instance, you may have heard of the QRS Play-a-Sax. I was unaware that QRS was a big, big name in self-playing instruments and I've got some great pics of some of QRS's instruments. It was nice seeing two Adolphe Sax instruments and Albert-System clarinets from Albert, all of which I had never seen in person. Additionally, I was going through the exhibits at a rather fast pace and it still took me over two hours. Hey, two hours and a free (this time, at least: there are non-free concerts, too) concert? That's a lot of bang for 15 bucks.

I travel to Phoenix at least once a year to visit my daughter and grandkids. This has been on my list of things to do. I certainly will plan to see the museum next time I go because of your post.

Have you considered offering your corrections and suggestions to the museum management. After all, you are one of the nation's experts on early saxophones. I would think that they would welcome your help to make their exhibits as accurate as possible. Just a thought.

I travel to Phoenix at least once a year to visit my daughter and grandkids. This has been on my list of things to do. I certainly will plan to see the museum next time I go because of your post.

Have you considered offering your corrections and suggestions to the museum management. After all, you are one of the nation's experts on early saxophones. I would think that they would welcome your help to make their exhibits as accurate as possible. Just a thought.
I'm still thinking about it. I'm trying to decide that I'd have the time to hand polish a couple silver horns :). I'm probably going to at least forward the date/patent info.

Very interesting post. I have missed both of the musical instrument museums in the United States, unfortunately. The one Pete visited and the National Music Museum in South Dakota are both far from me, but I had long term plans to visit both. I think I'm going to South Dakota first.

SD might be more interesting, especially if you can find Margaret Downie Banks.

=========

I've posted a page on my blog with 130-ish pics (and commentary!). It's at http://thesax.info/?p=1547.

Thanks! Seems that this thread got really popular really fast. Maybe I can go viral. I should come up with a catch phrase. Hey, that could be a catch phrase!

I went back to the MIM on Sunday. They've added a few more horns and a bunch of other stuff, so I've added more stuff. 52 more pics; I wasn't there that long, this time, or I would have taken more. Linky.

* No, they haven't corrected the card on the Conn-O-Sax
* Yes, the exhibits are getting progressively rattier
* Yes, I did consider posting pics of the saxophones on the "dance" (theater) organ and asking folks to identify them, just for the amusement value

One of the two highest amusement value items I didn't take a picture of (sorry). It's Joshua Bell's original violin. It's in about 50 billion pieces.

================

What follows is a rant. If you don't like reading rants, please skip to the next post.

I'm obviously not a museum curator, but it does kind of annoy me that these historic and/or historical instruments aren't being taken care of. It's not a question of even "playing condition" or "nice looking condition" anymore. It's more, "Well, this is what we slapped together. They're on display. What more do ya want?"

I think a part of it is that these instruments are just, well, hanging there. You'll see some clear plastic dividers in some of my pics, but that's all they're doing: dividing the exhibits. No glass/plastic enclosed cases. Makes me wonder how long their Grafton Alto exhibit's going to be up -- especially with it being 1/2" behind a "do not cross" line.

I also still don't understand how the MIM groups some of these instruments. For an example, I could go to the Bolivia exhibit and see a French-made Buffet clarinet. Because people can play clarinets in Bolivia. If traditional Bolivian music was originally performed on a forerunner to a modern clarinet, I'd like to see THAT instrument, not the modern horn. Additionally, while Rampone & Cazzani might be an Italian firm, it doesn't mean that traditional Italian music has to be played on R&C-made instruments.

================

What follows is a rant. If you don't like reading rants, please skip to the next post.

I'm obviously not a museum curator, but it does kind of annoy me that these historic and/or historical instruments aren't being taken care of. It's not a question of even "playing condition" or "nice looking condition" anymore. It's more, "Well, this is what we slapped together. They're on display. What more do ya want?"

I think a part of it is that these instruments are just, well, hanging there. You'll see some clear plastic dividers in some of my pics, but that's all they're doing: dividing the exhibits. No glass/plastic enclosed cases. Makes me wonder how long their Grafton Alto exhibit's going to be up -- especially with it being 1/2" behind a "do not cross" line.

I also still don't understand how the MIM groups some of these instruments. For an example, I could go to the Bolivia exhibit and see a French-made Buffet clarinet. Because people can play clarinets in Bolivia. If traditional Bolivian music was originally performed on a forerunner to a modern clarinet, I'd like to see THAT instrument, not the modern horn. Additionally, while Rampone & Cazzani might be an Italian firm, it doesn't mean that traditional Italian music has to be played on R&C-made instruments.
:)

I finally made it to the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix this weekend. We were there 4 hours and that wasn't nearly enough time to do justice to all of the exhibits. I went thinking it would be mostly European historic instruments, but it could be more accurately be named the Music of the World Museum. No only are instruments from every nation and culture on display, most of the exhibits have a video screen one can watch and hear through headphones the native music being played by native musicians.

One thing that struck me was how many different cultures have a conical wooden tube with finger holes that is played with a double reed like an oboe. It is not a "pleasant sound" to listen to to say the least. Flutes and drums of all types were common throughout the world. Instruments tended to be more ornate in the Middle Eastern countries and in the Orient. The Germanic countries had the most amazing rotary valve brass unlike anything we have in the us.

Of course the most exciting displays for me were the earliest saxophones from France, and the displays of jazz music and instruments in the U.S. If anyone is in the Phoenix area, I highly recommend a visit to the museum. You won't be disappointed. I was interested to discover the museum was funded by the founder of Target Stores, and that at any given time only 5,000 of the museum's pieces are on display and the other 10,000 are in storage.

My wife and I are planning a trip back in about a week and 1/2. It's our "anniversary present" to each other (our real wedding anniversary is last month; yes, I did buy a gift).

You shoulda looked me up, JBT. I was pretty free this weekend.

There is an awful lot to like about the museum. One of the things is that you can go through it at a relatively good speed and still not see everything even 4 hours later. I think I mention that on my blog, but yours is a spot-on observation.

I didn't know about the Target guy. He's actually done something that I would have if I won big in the lottery. I still have ideas that would work with a spare few million $ ....

Back
Top Bottom