Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

Alternate Fingerings

Discussion in 'Advanced Techniques' started by NerdyCustard, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Hi!

I'm a clarinetist with three years of experience. I currently don't have a teacher/instructor, and I am learning Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A major. So far, it's going really well. However, when I listened to the piece for the first time, it became evident to me that there were some alternate fingerings involved in being able to play the piece the best way it can be played. So, if I could have some instruction on how to play those fingerings, I would be very appreciative. Thank you!

2. jbtsax

jbtsax Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

It would be a great help to know which movement(s) you are working on and which measures and notes might require "alternate fingerings".

3. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Admin and all around good guy. Staff Member Administrator

Measure 18 is buried in the middle of a 36 measure rest?

4. Yeah, I messed up. I realized right after I posted. There's a 56 measure rest, so it's actually measure 73.

5. The notes are: C, G, E, C, G, E, C, A, C, F, A, C, F, A, C. The blue notes are descending and the red ones are ascending.

6. saxhound

saxhound Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

I have played this several hundred times (or more) and can't say there are any alternate fingerings I would use there, as long as you are playing middle C with your right pinky. Even that may just be a matter of personal preference. In measures 67 and 71, you should be using the alternate F# (3rd finger RH on the side key when moving from F (or E natural) to F#. The same thing holds true later in the piece when moving from low Bb to B natural. Other than that, I don't see much.

7. Thank you!

8. jbtsax

jbtsax Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

I have always called that the RH "sliver" key. The 4 RH "side keys" are played with the index finger.

Our staff's websites: