Alto vs. Tenor Vibrato

I believe it is very important to make the distinction between a classical style and concept of vibrato and a jazz style. There is some overlap of course, but each style has distinct characteristics of its own.

That said, in very general terms the classical vibrato has a tendency to be more continuous and in jazz a straight tone is embellished with a vibrato increasing in intensity toward the end. The French school of classical playing has tended toward a wider and faster vibrato, perhaps due to the influence of Marcel Mule.

It has been my observation that to get the "new age" sound some modern players have gone full circle back to the very fast more constant vibrato to give that "sparkle" to their sound. The important thing about vibrato is that it is a means to an end, and not an end in itself.

Another "over generalization" is that classical players try to achieve a sound characteristic of "classical saxophone playing". Jazz players on the other hand use every means at their disposal to sound different from everyone else---to find their own distinct voice and sound. This is why I believe it is important to make the distinction between classical and jazz/pop/rock styles when discussion all aspects of playing---especially vibrato.

Thanks for raising the issue of classical vibrato jbt. I was thinking of doing so along the way, and bringing in the whole Larry Teal thing a number of times, but decided against it. My classical days are nearly 20 years behind me, and I've managed to suppress those memories.;-) I was afraid I'd have to dig into the recesses of my mind and try to find them. You've saved me! Thanks from the rocker on the board. :emoji_smile:

String sections sound 'phatter' with vibrato because they aren't perfectly 'in tune'. Back before samplers, if I wanted a string 'pad' to sound more 'authentic' I would record multiple instances of the string track, and time shift and detune them slightly. Same effect.

What you are calling 'terminal' vibrato, I have always called 'automatic pilot' vibrato.

Different styles, even within jazz, call for different kinds of vibrato. If I'm playing a Fletchor Henderson arrangement, I'll use a fast, thin vibrato. If I'm playing a Kenton arrangement, no vibrato. Only by listening and copying the style can you be stylistically correct.

When you're playing your own thing, use your own aesthetic. For me, it's copying my favorite vocalists.

Back
Top Bottom