Analysis Paralysis

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
So, I decided I needed to buy a new pair of shoes. I've got a pair of black Sketchers Shape-Ups, which were podiatrist-recommended. While I thought those shoes felt great, they weren't that durable. So, I hit the Internets to do some research.

My major hobby is categorizing saxophones. Most companies that make saxophones have no more than three models: beginner, intermediate, and professional. Even if they weren't called that, you'd know which one was the pro model by the price. That's not the case with shoes (or with some current saxophone manufacturers. I think Yamaha has a line-up of eight or nine horns). You have to start with what activity you want to do in those shoes, then you might want some feature, like slip-resistant or waterproof. Then you need to find out if the shoe is available in your size. Then you can choose your width. Oh. Can't forget about the colors! Hey, do ya want Velcro or laces? And on and on.

What I eventually did was to do a Google search for "most comfortable shoes." If I could get steel toe, waterproof, and slip-resistant, that'd be a bonus. Anyhow, my Googling led me back to Reddit.com, which is a sprawling forum of forums where mostly any topic is discussed. I initially got a brand name to look at. Grand. They make about 50 shoe models. I searched harder and eventually found a model name that a few folks really liked. Hey, if I want to spend $40 more, I can get waterproof ... but none of the other things. After another half-hour or so, I got a second make & model to look at -- and the second one has all the other extras I wanted, but was also a lot more. So, I looked both of the shoes up on Amazon.com. The first shoe had about 1000 4-star reviews. The second only had about 200. I went with the first shoe. Hey, Amazon has easy exchanges, so if I don't like 'em, I'll exchange and get the other shoe.

It's pretty easy to relate that experience with buying most any musical instrument. That's one of the reasons why I try not to recommend a lot of older horns, especially if they don't have model names stamped on the bell or body. Same thing with mouthpieces.

Just an observation.

When my preferred shoe was discontinued I bought up every pair I could find in my size, even stopping while out of town to seek them out. I finally resorted to the bay and found NOS for sale and managed to score a few pair long after I had given up hope - and I do NOT do used shoes, that's too disgusting.

Boy can I identify with Carl. I absolutely abhor change, so when I find a shoe I like, I buy at least 6 pair. I need to start doing that with wristwatches too since they change styles even more than shoes.

Well, there's a reason I don't stock up: I don't have the money.

A little more accurate, at least in regard to shoes, is that I've rarely bought the same kind twice. I'm searching for the best ones -- or the best ones for me. I no longer have the requirement of a steel toe; I don't have to carry tons of junk at work, anymore, so I can save the extra weight. It's not incredibly necessary to have waterproof shoes, except for the past couple weeks (I live in a desert). I do like the slip-resistant and I've bought those in the past. I've also had a couple pair of Doc Marten's. The problem is finding a good fit. They're UK shoes and Doc Marten tends to skip over my size, which is a US 10.5.

I did, however, stock up on some discontinued Vandoren bari sax reeds a long time ago. They were a specific model and hardness that no one else had, so I bought several boxes. I was quite disappointed when I ran out.

I fear change, as well. That's why I use an ATM card.

Here you go: the world's most comfortable footwear. I have worn nothing else for the past decade.
Which is the reason you're banned from most restaurants and other public places.

FWIW, my shoes did come in. Too narrow. I sent 'em back -- again, a reason not to use eBay for clothing and shoes -- and got a 2E. Those fit fine. This is what I ended up with. Black. My review, after wearing 'em for a couple days: not bad. Could use more padding for the heel. They look nicer and darker IRL than in the pictures. A coworker has the same shoes and he said he really likes 'em and that they're pretty long lasting. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom