Anybody ever see a rosewood mouthpiece

Hi All,

As I posted in another section I just bought a patricola rosewood clarinet. It would be so cool if I can find a rosewood mouthpiece for the new one.

Has anyone heard of wood ones (other than the Pomorico's).

Thanks,
Steve

Wood Mouthpiece

It'd be expensive and I'm guessing you'd have to worry about cracking. I'm just sayin'...

Agreed. That's the chance I'll take with it very much like the chance of my Crystal mouthpiece chipping (Yes, I chipped one and my dentist fixed it for me).

One thing I heard is that you must oil it with Walnut or Almound oil on a regular basis so the wood doesn't dry out.

Steve

Oiling the mouthpiece

I hear that the trick is to only oil the inside of the Mouthpiece. That's where it will soak up the oil and not change the color of the wood.

Steve

I interviewed Peter Ponzol awhile ago. He doesn't like the idea of wood for mouthpieces (or saxophone necks).

I have a wooden mouthpiece on the shelf. I think I used it once or twice. I like my Selmer C85 better.

However, if you're looking for just the visual, it'd be pretty.

It's a for the eyes only deal. I suppose if you got a "light enough" one (color), oiling wouldn't do too much to make it that dark, and you'd still get the effects, but I wouldn't spend all that money on a MP that can crack and that requires so much extra care.
If you're willing to have it as a "special occasion" MP, alright I guess, but I wouldn't get one. Just my little non-visual 2 cents.

It's a for the eyes only deal. I suppose if you got a "light enough" one (color), oiling wouldn't do too much to make it that dark, and you'd still get the effects, but I wouldn't spend all that money on a MP that can crack and that requires so much extra care.
If you're willing to have it as a "special occasion" MP, alright I guess, but I wouldn't get one. Just my little non-visual 2 cents.

I agree, I like the crystal moutpieces but I only have the one that was made 30 years ago (an O'brien made for Fossemkemper) and havent found a backup. Well that isn't quite true. I found a Ruyon Clear plastic one that works. They are going to reface it to match the Fossemkemper. I also have a Pomorico that I'm going to have refaced to the Fossemkemper as soon as I get the replacement Runyon.

You might think I'm crazy but it just doesn't look good having a black mouthpiece on a rosewood clarinet :).

Call me crazy if you wish.

Steve

by the way Zinner makes mpcs from Cocoswood. which is a much denser wood than rosewood and less prone to fast warpage. It is though, lighter in color and may make a good match.

I have a few prototype barrels from cocoswood and I really like them, as compared to my prototypes from rosewood.

but finding a US reselling is another story
http://www.hans-zinner.de/html/bb-clarinet.html

by the way Zinner makes mpcs from Cocoswood. which is a much denser wood than rosewood and less prone to fast warpage. It is though, lighter in color and may make a good match.

I have a few prototype barrels from cocoswood and I really like them, as compared to my prototypes from rosewood.

but finding a US reselling is another story
http://www.hans-zinner.de/html/bb-clarinet.html

Thanks so much. I just sent an email to them asking about their mouthpieces.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom