Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

Bari in a concert band -- threshold of boredom?

Discussion in 'The Community Band' started by retread, Dec 23, 2009.

1. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

He's wrong, of course. They're not paying for how much or how little you play during a piece, but your ability to successfully play the piece. :p

I didn't re-read the entire thread, but one director I worked for loved dotted-quarter note, eighth, repeat ad nauseam for bari. Sigh.

Looking at Bari Sax Guy's setup, a Yani B9930, I can understand the frustration a bit more: $14,700 horn. I'd want parts with a little more meat, too :D.

2. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Admin and all around good guy. Staff Member Administrator

Was wondering where you got that low, low price. Then I checked Kessler's Music. Quinn the Eskimo can't keep these babies in stock. They go as fast as we get them!

3. pete

https://www.wwbw.com/Yanagisawa-B-9...one-460590.wwbw?skuId=site8sku460590000000000

I usually get my prices off of there because "WWBW.com" is easy to type and I'm lazy. It just happens that WWBW and Kessler have the same price in this case.

Just on the topic of price, the most expensive horn I've held was a 1920s/early 1930s Evette-Schaeffer contrabass, which you could value up to the price of a new one, I suppose, so about $20K. I've come close enough to touch two Conn-O-Saxes, but didn't: I told the gentleman that owned the first that I disn't want any part of touching a $50K to $100K instrument and in the latter case, the horn was in a museum (Phoenix MIM). It wasn't behind glass or anything; just on a stand. I could have taken it home.

TrueTone and Gandalfe like this.
  4. Gandalfe & Pete et al, I purchased the B 9930 from Quinn in 2016 - the price was not even close to $14k + . I traded a Series II Bari + some cash.

Great horn, as are all the Yanis that I have played. I am hoping to play Bari at Jazz camp in August, but I offered to cover A/ T or B where needed,
    so we shall see.

TrueTone and Gandalfe like this.
  5. pete

BTW, BSG, send me some pics of your Yani tenor and bari and that Keilwerth bass, please.

All the Yanis I've ever played were terrible. I'm fairly sure that this was due to the state of repair of the ones I played, otherwise Yani would have gone out of business a long time ago

6. Pete - I think you know what those horns look like - My purchase of the Keilwerth Bass was discussed on Helen's Bassic Sax site. I drove to NJ and bought it from the seller in NJ. Here is a review of the IW case I bought for it (the discussion of the purchase of the horn is further back in the Bassic Sax web site) The case review - circa June 2010:

http://bassic-sax.info/blog/2010/re...se-for-vintage-american-style-saxes-a-review/

If pics are helpful, its actually time to take some photos for insurance purposes, and I am proud of my horns, so sure...pics will follow.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Gandalfe likes this.
Our staff's websites: