Big Band Chart Asks du Jour ~ 2010

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I am having a hard time finding the chart "Laura" by Sammy Nestico IIRC that features an alto sax solo. All I can find is the version that features a trumpet and bone solo. Anyone have pointers to a place to purchase this chart for my lead alto? I owe him a lot for his support of my various band projects.

Does anyone know if there is a site that sells Maynard Fergusion charts? I can find a few songs, but there should be a mega site for all the stuff his band did back in the day.

We're in the process of working up a Fergusson chart (the theme from Rocky), but I have lost the first page (which has all of the ordering information on it). I'll see if I can find the address of the site from whence (whence?) it came.

The thing that I like about the chart is that it kills the trumpet section. Two passes through it and they are meek as church mice.

Our "Rocky" chart came from jazzbandcharts.com. I haven't shopped their offerings very thoroughly though.

My book. Songdex II lists thousands of big band charts, some for as little as $4, and some for the price of just photocopying. Surprised and disappointed that this FREE resource is not being used and utilized.
A quick e-mail to Paul Sherwood will find just about any BB chart, especially Nestico and Ferguson.

For anyone looking for big band arrangements, I recommend arranger Mike Lewis, one of the most published arrangers in the USA but somehow not all that well known. During the 60s, 70s, and 80s, Mike produced more top 40 hits than almost anyone, and he now arranges for several major cruise lines.

His charts always sound great, and play easier than the level at which they are rated. He's a genius and a friend of mine.

http://www.ejazzlines.com/JAZZ-BIG-BAND-ARRANGEMENTS-BY-MIKE-LEWIS-c333.html

Back
Top Bottom