Brass/Oxidation

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I finally took the plunge and bought a bari. Specifically Ed's old Beaugnier-made Vito.

Now, it actually looks nicer than in those pictures, but it does have only about 2% (being very generous) of the original lacquer remaining, so it's essentially a "bare brass horn". Unfortunately, it has spots of green oxidation around some of the posts.

The question: how best to remove the green oxidation?

(I posted in GENERAL as there are other woodwinds that are made out of brass.)

They're not large spots: as I said, around a couple posts. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

(I should also mention that Brasso on silver/gold horns is a very bad idea. Approximately as bad as using it on lacquer.)

brasso is not to be used on silver instruments, only brass instruments. if you use it lightly you can polish up the patina'd areas on lacquered horns with spots.

Silvo (brassos cousin) is for silver instruments, plus a plethora of other fine polishes for silverware and such. The foaming stuff seems to be the best. I don't use Silvo personally, but another brand that I can't recall.

I use a silver cloth available at most fabric stores, fabulous stuff. I also use their silver polish cloth for heavier duty tasks. As I display my silver instruments in a curio case, the silver cloth keeps the instruments looking like new.

I forgot about the clothes. I was only thinking of rub on stuff, especially when the instrument is apart.

the clothes are great for general polishing but alot of people have trouble getting into the little cracks here and there. 3M also makes some silver strips to prevent tarnish and you can put these in your cases. I use one for my flute, but then, I haven't opened the case in about a year ..... so who knows how well it works.

pete said:
SteveSklar said:
I forgot about the clothes.
Dude. Overshare.
as in silver cloth ... not as in wearing clothes. unless your skin is very sensitive to light, such as Silver ..... but that's a topic for a different forum .. bad Pete .. :geezer1:

Back
Top Bottom