Buffet 'A' Clarinet - H.P. or L.P?

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone on this site can help me to determine whether my Buffet 'A' clarinet is an H.P. (high-pitch) or L.P. (low-pitch) clarinet. I recently purchased this vintage clarinet (serial no. 1K313) which, according to the Buffet serial no. list, was made in 1915. After some recent repair work, the clarinet is now in playable condition and seems to be in tune with itself. However, it does play sharp when played against a tuner. I checked the barrel which seems to be a little short at only 64mm. It does play more in tune when I play it with a longer barrel, but it still plays a little sharp.

There are no markings on the clarinet to indictate whether it is an H.P. or L.P. clarinet. Is there a way to determine definitively whether this Buffet A clarinet is either an H.P. or L.P. clarinet? Any information anyone can provide would be very appreciated. Thank You, River432

If the horn is consistently sharp across most or all of the instrument, it probably is HP. If you can get an electronic tuner and set it to (concert) A=457hz and your clarinet is consistently in tune, it's HP. The "consistent" part is the key. It also wouldn't be a little sharp, it'd be a lot sharp. The difference between LP and HP is almost a half step.

FWIW, I've found HP stamps on clarinets in unusual places, like around a tenon. Sometimes these marks are very faint and almost invisible.

it does play sharp when played against a tuner.

barrel seems to be a little short at only 64mm. It does play more in tune when I play it with a longer barrel, but it still plays a little sharp.

Some folks have a loose embouchure and set up their instrument to play in tune that way. What are you using for a mouthpiece? Some of them can be set for 442, and if coupled with a short barrel could give the results you are getting.

I'd suggest taking your Bb mouthpiece and barrel and play your A with them and a tuner and seeing where the pitch lands. If it is generally still sharp you probably have a high pitch instrument. If it is pretty close to in tune, but a bit erratic, you may have a low pitch instrument that needs a different barrel than your standard barrel.

good luck

Thank you for all your input. I did try putting my Bb mouthpiece and barrel (66mm) on the A clarinet and it does seem to play mostly in tune across all registers. So I am very hopeful that it is an L.P. clarinet and one that I will be able to use in an orchestral setting. But because I am still not 100% convinced as to whether it is an H.P. or L.P. 'A' clarinet, I am going to take the clarinet to someone who can tell me with certainty, I hope. Anyway, thanks again. River432

Back
Top Bottom