Buffet A Clarinet Question

Hello! I'm rather new here and maybe this isn't the correct place to ask this, but I am having a bit of a problem. I am a woodwind instrument repair technician, and I am currently in the process of overhauling a Buffet A Clarinet, and I came across something odd. My mentor wasn't sure what to make of it, so I turn to the internet.

On the upper joint of the instrument, below the second ring key is a smaller pad/pad cup. Now I am no stranger to clarinets, specifically older clarinets, having odd things as this (I had previously worked on a Selmer A Clarinet that was similar, but missing the extra pad cup), but the strange thing about it was that the tone hole beneath the pad cup was plugged/sealed up. I am not sure if there is a reason for this, so I don't know if I need to take out the plug and add a pad to the pad cup like usual or leave it alone. Is it better for tuning/intonation if the tone hole is sealed up, or should it be allowed to vent like other keys?

Attachments

• 20240209-141717-2.jpg
    20240209-141717-2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240213-110420-HDR-2.jpg
    20240213-110420-HDR-2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 22
What you have is what is called an "enhanced Boehm" clarinet, or even possible a "Full Boehm". This can be found on A or Bb Clarinets (or any other harmony clarinet). It's not very prevalent anymore but I think one East European maker still makes them from time to time.

I'm guessing that tonehole was plugged as someone could not adjust it properly or just did not want to deal with it.
As I see you also have the C#/G# tonehole going through the tenon. This is a "better" placement tonality-wise for the note than on the side of the clarinet for their understanding back then. And it may have an additional sliver key on the lower joint between the ring keys making for an alternative fingering for the C#/G# while using the same tonehole location.

I had a finger chart for full boehm but for some reason the chart shows an error ...
But most of your manufacturers had various versions of Standard Boehm, to various versions of Enhanced Boehm to a Full Boehm clarinet.
I do have the FullBoehm (aka FB) key identifier attached.

You can see various keywork on these brochures

Attachments

• FullBoehmClarinet.jpg
    FullBoehmClarinet.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom