Buffet Crampon & Cie A. Paris Clarinet Made in France ???

Discussion in 'Clarinets' started by jessica89, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jessica89

jessica89

I am new to this, can someone help me identify my clarinet ???? some one is telling me that is a R13, But i am unsure on how to tell, i thought i had decoded it to be a E13,,, ANSWERS ANYONE??? :Space5:

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

Well, it's not an R13. If this is an older pro Buffet, which I think it is, the serial number maps to 1950. That's 5 years before the R13 was introduced.

Steve's our clarinet CE. Let's see if this works: @Steve

3. Steve

Steve Clarinet CE/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

Yes, it looks like the model that preceeded the R13 (which the R13 was introduced around 1955).
    These are commonly called a "pre R13" for obvious reasons.
    Buffet only had ONE professional instrument up until the 1960s, so there was no reason to put a model stamp on it.
    their Intermediate was labeled a Evette-Schaeffer and their Student an Evette. Thus there was a clear distinction between models.

You can see a comparison here of an R13 and a Pre-R13 ==> http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clsnBuffet.htm#PreR13vR13

Serial number 38503 is from about 1950 ==> http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clsnBuffetSN.htm

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  4. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

Hey, I get to be right on a clarinet question! Thanks, Steve!

5. Steve

Steve Clarinet CE/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

If I recall correctly the 1950sh to 1955 "Pre-R13s" actually had a tapered bore and were wonderful players, nicely balanced from top to bottom.
    I had one for a time and it was more powerful than the R13, a great jazz clarinet if one wanteda horn that can be pushed to more extreme dynamics.