Buffet Limité...

I'm wondering if it is an E13 with a different name... any info?

E11, E13, Limité, Conservatoire... each one is really different from others regarding the bore and keywork?

From Brook Mays:

The Limite' is a Limited Production Version Of The Legendary R-13 That Has Not Been Available Before To The Us Market. The Limite' Bb Clarinet Is Handrafted In The French Buffet Factory, the Same Facility That Produces The Legendary R13 Clarinets.

The New Limite' Is Crafted From Select African Black Wood For The Rich, Warm, Responsive Qualities That Are Distinctively Buffet. Featuring The Legendary Buffet R-13 Poly-Cylindrical Bore, Undercut Tone Holes, .66 Mm Barrel, 17 Keys, 6 Rings, And A Newly Designed Adjustable Thumb Rest For Ease Of Proper Hand Postition, And Silver Plated Keys, All Standard On The Limite'. Plus, Packaged In The Buffet Deluxe Wood Shell Case With Plush Interior.

Yes ,
I've read this description from many dealers...
but could be really an R13-like and so saving money?
Gandalfe said:
The Limite' Is A Limited Production Version Of The Legendary R-13
Buffet said:
Recommended by music teachers because of their easy response and remarkable accuracy, the LIMITÉ clarinets help the progressing musician develop their musical talent. Our clarinets are made from African black wood, known for its resonance and stability and found in the forests of Mozambique and Tanzania. Whatever his or her level, the musician will appreciate the feel and the acoustic qualities of BUFFET CRAMPON LIMITÉ clarinets. The bore (internal diameter) has been specially designed to increase easy response, flexibility and even performance in all registers.

You will be charmed by the quality of sound projection and the professional feel of this instrument. The high position bore means resistance is lowered. This clarinet is extremely comfortable to play thanks to its irreproachable keywork and is produced in the same factory as the legendary R-13.

In addition to being great value, the LIMITÉ has a high quality finish in line with the BUFFET CRAMPON professional tradition. SOURCE.
It's two steps under the R13 and one step over the E13. A quick Google search says that they're about $600 used.

In other words, the only folks that think it's an R13 is Brook Mays.

Now, on the Buffet website, I do not see bore dimensions for the Limite.

I seem to remember someone here mentioning that the B12 has the closest bore to the R13. Your mileage may vary.

I believe the E13 was designed with the Master bore design - pre R13.

The Limite i believe actually has a polycylindrical bore. Whether it is exactly like one of the R13 models is unknown, much less the tonehole designs, etc. I've never blueprinted one to find out.

When I mention blueprinting, blueprinting is where I get minute dimensions of the bore and also other Specifications.
This page offers a glimpse into some of the info I gather and just a couple clarinets .... sooner or later this page will be published with a bunch of this type of info. I'll probably just offer a excel spreadsheet to download - the spreadsheet has more than on the page.
This is a beta page and you can't get to it from the main website menu.
http://www.ClarinetPerfection.com/clsnBuffetInfo.htm#Models

also this page for basic bore inbound and outbound dimensions
http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clbore.htm#bore
When bore size is listed on pages it lower bore of the upper joint. I've found that that is pretty much useless in conversations as one needs to know the top bore of the UJ too to determine the potential taper .... and then to be really accurate the dimensions in between too.

but could be really an R13-like and so saving money?
Well, technically it isn't an R13 as it isn't labeled as such, so the resale value (should you ever dare to...) is somewhat limited, plain and simple.

Whether or not it is "as good as" an R13 or so is a moot point. You either like its tone, its handling, its everything, or you don't. (Just because it is assumed to be R13-like doesn't automatically grant you supernatural powers.)

I bet that the statistical spread among R13s (or any other brand and model) is so big that they overlap with other brands and models. So your individual Limite might indeed be better than an R13. Or it might not be much better than an E11. Or it might not be as good as another R13 but just as good as the third one you compare with. Who could ever know?

FYI, the bore and other things of the R13 has evolved.
Thus one has to ask .. which version of the R13

Thus one of the reasons they make a R13 "Vintage" model. Which coincidentally is, in technical specifications comparison (excluding keywork), a replica of my R13s in every way including tonally to my ears. Except nicer silver plated keywork.

But in order to improve tuning, certain notes, etc they have made slight bore modifications and register location/size changes .... so an R13 is an R13 .. kinda depending upon the era.

hether or not it is "as good as" an R13 or so is a moot point. You either like its tone, its handling, its everything, or you don't. (Just because it is assumed to be R13-like doesn't automatically grant you supernatural powers.)
Quoted for truth.

Back
Top Bottom