Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Can anyone identify this Selmer Paris?

Hello. I am new to this forum, and am returning to clarinet after many years. Here is the story:

My dad bought this clarinet for me used in 1960 when I was 9 years old. I played it for about 4 or 5 years and then gave it up for girls, sports and rock n' roll. I had not even thought of this clarinet in decades until recently finding it again in my dad's possessions after his passing. He had kept it all these years. It was in pretty bad shape. It had not been out of it's case in 40 years and was quite moldy, and the keys were corroded, and cork and the pads were dried out, but the body had no cracks. I took it to to a recommended tech at my local music store and had it restored. He did a great job getting all of the mold out and polishing/reconditioning all of the keys, springs, pads, and cork. He even threw a clean vintage case which he had laying around into the deal. He thought it might date to the early 50's or maybe late 40's. It has a serial number stamped at the middle joint and at the bell joint which reads "P2930".

I found that I could still get a good tone from it and have begun playing it again. I'm looking for learning resources.

IMG_0007.jpg

185274_10150373513332788_552782787_9484523_1554255_n.jpg

283369_10150373513542788_552782787_9484526_2194939_n.jpg

If you post the serial number you can easily identify how old the instrument is.

I'm going to guess it's a N series Selmer
http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clsnSelmerParis.htm#BT

But the serial number will help identify the model and year

Thanks, Steve, and everyone else who has commented. It appears to be a P series. The stamped serial number reads P2930, which would put it at 1952. It has the hexagonal bushing at the register key as seen here:

283493_10150373513957788_552782787_9484529_955848_n.jpg

It sounds so nice. I can't believe that my dad bought such a fine instrument for me to learn on, and at that age I had no idea what I had. I left it on the subway once on my way home from school and luckily someone returned it. My dad told me once that he paid $125 for it used in 1960. Amazing, I was born in 1951 so it's almost a birth-year instrument for me. Wow...

Although they are generally sneered at by the Buffet crowd...

...there is nothing wrong with most Selmer professional clarinets, particularly for players other than of the high symphonic variety. Better projection and a more robust tone under most circumstances, and far, far less 'resistant' than the bog standard R-13 or the equivalent flavor of today favored by the Buffet-centric world of "standard" clarinet playing.

I've tried the others over the years, and while tempted by certain LeBlanc horns that I have played, the Selmer style instrument remains the clarinet of choice for me.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But, anyone thinking of taking up intermediate level playing of the instrument should at least try (for an hour or so) instruments from all of the remaining major makers (Buffet, Selmer, LeBlanc, Yamaha) before taking the plunge.

In this case, the plunge has already been taken - score another one for the Selmer crowd...

Back
Top Bottom