Can someone Explain this device to me?

I use Farkas mpcs when I do play FH. There's only a few compared to what is available for trumpet.
picture.php

I have never seen a Guitar in a marching band. There is probably a really good reason for that. :-D
Simple: you can't hear it, unless you're going to be lugging around an amp. Arguably, that be the most entertaining marching band I've ever seen.

I have a wireless setup, that when combined with my "big" amp could easily balance (drown out) a marching band, and has a range much larger than a football arena.

I do not like marching and have never had to march, but I might like marching a wireless guitar just for the potential mayhem.

There's only 2 things I can think of why the french horn is difficult compared to other brass.

[1] it has such a small mouthpiece - but I even play some cornet, etc and the FH is easier for me (granted I played FH consistently for years and years vs other brass). Now the Tuba was hard for me on the occasions that I tried it.

[2] FH has that thumb valve to switch between Bb & F horns. but then those pesky Trombones may have multiple "extension" triggers (F & G triggers) and require one to be much more accurate on the slide position.

Another element that makes french horn more difficult is that the harmonics in its regular playing range are closer together making accuracy more difficult.

Q: How do you make a trombone sound like a french horn?
A: Put your hand in the bell and play a lot of wrong notes.
Q: What is the difference between a french horn and a "scud" missile.
A: The "scud" missile is a lot more accurate.

Now marching, I think the concert FH would be the worst (excluding the marching FH). Of course, I don't want to even think about marching with an oboe.

That's why in marching band oboe players are called "flag twirlers".

Simple: you can't hear it, unless you're going to be lugging around an amp. Arguably, that be the most entertaining marching band I've ever seen.

I have a wireless setup, that when combined with my "big" amp could easily balance (drown out) a marching band, and has a range much larger than a football arena.

I do not like marching and have never had to march, but I might like marching a wireless guitar just for the potential mayhem.

Sorry guys. Desperate band directors without a strong tuba section have been using an electric bass guitar in their field shows for years. There is a battery powered amp on a cart pushed by a drummer who missed too many rehearsals behind the bass guitarist marching in formation. Don't ask me how I know this.

Back
Top Bottom