Cheap Reed Humidor

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Vandoren has out a great Reed Humidor. Rico has the reed vitalizer. I use something a lot cheaper than either.

I have found that a zip lock bag filled with about a dozen to dozen and a half reeds will maintain a good humidity level for your playing reeds.

I generally have a dozen reeds in the bag in reedguards. One reedguard has the strength I'm playing and the other two have reeds 1/2 strength softer and 1/2 strength harder. The other six or so reeds that I keep in the bag or for the strength that I'm playing as spares. I've found that my reeds are a little more consistent season to season in the bag than they were went I would just keep the reedguard in the case.

They don't warp. They just seem to stay more consistent and they hydrate slightly quicker.

Random vendor: http://www.saxquest.com/productDetails. ... anReedCase

I have, for clarinet, a Vandoren metal case that has a little "clip" that flattens the tip of your reed so there is "no" warping.

The thing I worry about in a reed "humidor" is that bacteria and other nasties will grow quickly in a wet, warm environment. Hey, I did the science project in HS about that.

Maybe soak those reeds in some neutral-flavored/smelling antiseptic mouthwash before slapping 'em in the humidor?

I haven't had any problems with any nasties. I keep my reeds at about 50% humidity and 70 degrees if possible. I treat them like I treat my books or one should treat their books. (For the uninitiated great libraries are climate controlled and the general rule of thumb is that 50% humidity and 70 degrees Fahrenheit is just about perfect for books)

Back
Top Bottom