Cherokee

Over the past couple years I spent a lot of time in the shed with this tune on tenor sax. I found an interesting anomaly in it, which is, of course, the bridge. Playing hot lines in the first half happens only when I slow the tempo down to something reasonable.

Listen to these four top jazz trumpet players. Pay close attention to what they do on the bridge in their choruses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvUsaZeXCKM

All four players burn on the Bb part. But when the tune shifts into B then A tonal centers at the bridge, only Sandoval keeps it going. The others back down from the usual blazzing sixteenth note runs. They don't get speedy again until the 2nd half of the bridge when the tune reenters the comfort zone of G then F tonal centers.

This video made me feel a lot better about the wall I hit on tenor whenever I get to that bridge. All it should require is the ability to play fast lines against the D-flat and B major scales (tenor key). I guess that sounds easier than it really is. Except for Sandoval.

Al, for me the key (no pun intended) to Cherokee was to learn it in all twelve keys. On the alto, and in the key of Bb concert, the outside is easy so I would blaze away. The inside was hard, so I had to hop around a little bit, trying to land in a safe spot. But when I moved the tune up to B natural concert, the outside was hard and the inside was very easy. So I got into the habit of playing Cherokee through all twelve keys daily, and that simplified things for me.

Try taking the tune up to B natural and see what the bridge is like up there.

Julian

Back
Top Bottom