Chicago Symphony Orchestra goes on Strike

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...ter-musicians-strike-20120922,0,5585573.story

Staff report
9:11 p.m. CDT, September 22, 2012

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra performance this evening at Symphony Center has been canceled because musicians of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra have gone on strike, officials said.

The concert at Symphony Center was to begin at 8 p.m. but was canceled after musicians went on strike, according to Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association President Deborah Rutter, who called it a "sad night" for the symphony orchestra.

"We're very disappointed that we're not presenting for another full house of very enthusiastic patrons," Rutter said in a short press conference.

Rutter said that the association has had 11 negotiating sessions with the musicians, the last of which ended around 6:15 this evening when they rejected the association's final offer.

"We believe that we offered a very fair contract," Rutter said.

Among some of the proposed terms, Rutter said musicians were offered salary increases in each year of the 3-year contract, and health benefit packages that totaled about $18,000 per musician. The association also asked musicians to increase their health benefit contribution from five to 12 percent.

In the union's most recent contract, which expired last week, the musicians' base minimum pay increased by 23 percent over a five year period, Rutter said. The average salary for musicians during the last year of the contract was $173,000.

Officials said rehearsals and concerts took place as scheduled earlier this week. However, during today’s meeting, the musicians left the negotiating table and proceeded to strike, officials said.

Bassist Stephen Lester, chairman of the Orchestra Members Committee, which negotiates the musicians contracts, was with fellow musicians setting up a picket line outside the Symphony Center entrance on Michigan Avenue Saturday night.

“We were negotiating all day today after having negotiated many times,” Lester said. “We’ve been doing a lot of negotiating. There was movement, but there remained serious economic issues that were not being addressed by the association. They were trying to force us into a concessionary contract, reducing our benefits and making it difficult for the orchestra to pay for health care and keep our basic standard of life.”

As for the cause of the negotiation breakdown, Lester said, “It was the final economic proposal (from the association), which still required us to take a decrease in compensation and exorbitant increases in the cost of health care. We’re hopeful that we will continue negotiating soon."

He denied that they walked away from the negotiating table.

"We remain anxious to conclude an agreement with the association, and we regret very much that this has affected concerts for the public and for our music director, Maestro Muti, and we hope that the situation can be resolved soon.”

On the subject of whether the musicians and management disagree over the CSO’s financial state: “There is a fundamental disagreement over what a successful orchestra is and what it means, and there’s a fundamental disagreement over the role of musicians...the negotiating style of the association has led us to question the seriousness of their desire for a contract.”

He said there was a strike authorization vote on Thursday evening. They advised the orchestra of the seriousness of the situation.

"We are enjoying extremely strong support from the orchestra.”

As for music director Riccardo Muti’s reaction: “I have been in contact with the maestro on several occasions,” Lester said, noting that he can’t speak for Muti. “We had good conversations, amiable conversations. He understands our situation.”

As the news broke that Chicago Symphony Orchestra musicians decided to walk off the job, an hour before the Saturday show featuring Muti conducting Respighi, dozens of confused and dressed-up concert goers gathered outside the symphony center at 220 S. Michigan Ave., bewildered by the small picket line and signs announcing the strike.

Leon Brenner of Round Lake said his father played in the symphony for nearly five decades and said he's never observed anything like this.

continued
"They had contract disputes and went on strike but not an hour before a concert where 3,000 people are attending," Brenner said. "I think it will hurt the symphony. You can't do that to your fans."

Brenner was accompanied by Al Green and his wife Karen, who drove in Friday evening from Dubuque, Iowa to see the show.

"This would have been our first time at the orchestra," Mr. Green said. "I'm not sure when we'll get another chance."

Phil Mijal of Woodridge said the experience was "very frustrating."

"We came all the way from the suburbs and it would have been nice if they had called," Mijal said.

Rick and Esther Baumgarten of Lincoln Park said they were "disgusted" by the strike and said he wasn't convinced that union members considered the impact on fans.

"We love the symphony," said Mr. Baumgarten, a 40-year subscriber. "We consider it to be one of the best in the world. I don't think I can sit and listen to them the same way again. I'll be tempted to boo them the next time I watch them, rather than cheer. This city loves them and I think they're being offensive."

Mrs. Baumgarten said she felt "double-crossed," considering that the symphony played the same show on Thursday night and played a free concert at Millennium Park Friday evening.

"If they're going to do it, do it on such-and-such date rather than bringing people down here to pay for parking and all that," she said. "I thought they had more class than that."

Not all the concert goers were so steamed, however.

"I'm disappointed that there's no show but if they have real grievances, I'm on their side," said Rick Fizdale who attended with his wife, Suzanne Faber.

"Now we'll go home," Faber said. "There will be other concerts."

Officials said that ticket holders can exchange their tickets for a future CSO performance, donate their tickets, or request a refund through the Symphony Center Box Office at (312) 294-3000.

Union members and Rutter both said they were not sure if the two sides could reach an agreement in time for the next scheduled concert on Wednesday. The CSO website, cso.org, will contain the most up-to-date information on the status of future performances, officials said.

Chicagobreaking@tribune.com

An AVERAGE salary of $ 173'000.- doesn't look very miserable to me. I spend a fantastic week at the UCSD jazz camp this summer and one the attendees was a good young professinal guitar player from the West Coast. He told me his standard rate for a wedding or a small corporate gig was $ 65 for very long hours...
J

I too have had mixed feelings about Orchestral salaries for quite some time. YES they deserve all pay they can get, YES they are at the top of the 'food chain' in many respects, YES I believe in the power& purpose of organized labor, but when is enough-enough and the audience has to suffer for it?

IF cso mgmt made previous contractual offers they now suddenly cant live up to; then the musicians have a legal leg to stand on, and I support them fully. However, IF mgmt has come clean (unlikely) and all their cards show that the money simply isnt there, THEN I believe further negotiation is warranted on both sides for the table, to avoid striking.

Striking leaves a lingering bad taste in hefty donors mouths (if it were their OWN companies, they;d have outsourced the work to China pdq with no compunction), Not to mention that I feel the entire foundation/501(c)3/ donor system of arts funding is a sham that's destined to fail.

Have to admit, (from my trench :) ) $65 for a gig is on the low side, even in difficult times. Its a tremendously difficult line to balance, the point at when we undervalue ourselves to bring a few plus-signs in, as opposed to earning a fair-market wage as performers.

OTOH:

John von Rhein
Chicago Tribune
8:06 p.m. CDT, September 24, 2012

The musicians and management of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra have arrived at a tentative agreement for a new, three-year collective bargaining agreement, the CSO announced Monday evening.

Ratification of this new contract is still pending by both parties-the
Chicago Federation of Musicians and the CSOA Board of Trustees-at which time further details will be announced. When ratified, the new contract will take effect retroactively on Monday, September 17, 2012.

All previously-scheduled CSO activities will proceed as planned.

It's not only Chicago.

Minnesota Orchestra management and musicians are still worlds apart as they meet with a federal mediator on Monday, six days before the orchestra's union contract expires.
Management's original proposal, delivered April 12, would cut musicians' average salaries to $89,000, from $135,000.
Musicians have made no counteroffer. With the season-opening concert still four weeks off, the union has no strike leverage. But neither is it inclined to accept the current proposal.
"I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lockout," said John Budd, a labor-relations expert at the Carlson School of Management. "That's what we've seen elsewhere, and if you look at the economics, it makes sense from a management perspective."
A lockout would prevent musicians from working and receiving paychecks. The union can challenge the legality with the National Labor Relations Board, but the appeal process could take weeks.
"It's a possibility," said principal trombonist Doug Wright, a member of the union team. "It's not in our control, and, obviously, we'd like to avoid it."
Management could declare an impasse and impose the final offer, while the two sides continue talking. That, too, could be challenged. Another possibility is to continue talking, which the musicians would prefer.
"Playing and talking is a thing this orchestra has done before," Wright said.
Finances blamed
The board has said for three years that the orchestra no longer can "survive based on optimistic economic assumptions and the hope of limitless benefactor generosity." The orchestra in fiscal 2011 reported its largest deficit ever, $2.9 million, a shortfall that could double in 2012.
Musicians said that if the board was crying poverty, it should agree to an independent financial analysis.
"We're trying to wrap our heads around what the problem is," Wright said Friday. "A lot of the information we see is in conflict with itself. There are pieces missing."
Michael Henson, president and CEO of the orchestra, said on Friday that no immediate financial crisis exists, but he likened the investment funds that help fund each season to a retirement account.
"You can't spend 90 percent of it in the first four years of retirement," Henson said. "You need to make it last."
He indicated the orchestra would like to draw no more than 5 percent annually from the funds; the draw rate has averaged nearly 10 percent over the past 10 years, he said.
The parties have not met since August. Earlier this month, the orchestra published on its website details of its proposal, summaries, a strategic plan and an open letter making its case to the community.
Musicians, initially angered that the orchestra had gone public, have used the salary proposals to rally fans. More than 2,000 people have signed petitions in support.
Union and management at the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra also are meeting this week, ahead of a Sept. 30 deadline. Musician Carole Mason Smith said the union has significant questions about a second offer from the orchestra, but indicated "everyone wants to get a deal done."
Will there be losses?
With a Minnesota Orchestra agreement in peril, observers wonder about a work stoppage and whether musicians -- some of whom are taking auditions elsewhere -- will leave. Said Richard Davis, the U.S. Bank chair who heads the board's negotiating team: "It's going to be very challenging to find a way to protect the artistic integrity of this world-class orchestra and not lose the players that have made it that way."
He has reason to worry. Before and during a 2011 strike, the Detroit Symphony lost its concertmaster of 23 years, its principal timpanist and the entire percussion section. The St. Louis Symphony experienced losses, too, when musicians struck in 2005.
However, St. Louis just returned from a well-received European tour that included the BBC Proms -- much like Minnesota did in 2010.
"Most of the bitterness is gone," said Sarah Bryan Miller, music critic at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "There were a lot of people who thought they were going to get jobs elsewhere, but they didn't."
Detroit made at least six hires last spring, including Yoonshin Song, who left the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra to become concertmaster.
Bargaining strategy
If there is no deal when the contract expires, the question of impasse looms heavily. It is a legal point at which management can lock out musicians or impose the final offer while talks continue.
"For better or worse, though, there's no flag that goes off or button that pops out like when you're cooking a turkey that says we've reached an impasse," Budd said.
And why hasn't the union offered a counter?
"The strategy would be, it's so extreme that they are waiting for management to revise to something they think is more of a platform to negotiate from," said Budd.
As negotiations unfold his week, logic could take a back seat to the personal chemistry. Bryan Miller said that in 2005 in St. Louis, deliberations deteriorated because of personalities on both sides.
"The attitude is much better now," she said.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/stageandarts/170916501.html?refer=y

An AVERAGE salary of $ 173'000.- doesn't look very miserable to me. I spend a fantastic week at the UCSD jazz camp this summer and one the attendees was a good young professinal guitar player from the West Coast. He told me his standard rate for a wedding or a small corporate gig was $ 65 for very long hours...
J

Oh, please. You can't compare a young guitar player with a member of the CSO. Not comparable on ANY level...

An AVERAGE salary of $ 173'000.- doesn't look very miserable to me.

Depends what they mean by average. If They're adding in the salaries of the principals, and Maestro Muti, then the ordinary member is going to be earning a long way below this. Median would be a better indicator. A good way of understanding this is to say that if Bill Gates walked into a bar, on average, every one in the bar would be a millionaire.

The pdf show's a scale in the $140K + range. Not shabby and a long way over the US median salary, which is about $50K. Then add in the extras for giving lessons, concerts outside the orchestra....

Last edited:
Oh, please. You can't compare a young guitar player with a member of the CSO. Not comparable on ANY level...

Perhaps not, in terms of musicianship or experience;
But since their respective incomes are derived solely/primarily from paid performances;
therefore, economically; they are both very much on the same playing field.

(really though, who knows? that kid could be all over the fretboard, or not, as the case may be)

Compare a price of a top of the line guitar against an entry level professional violin. Now add in the price of a professional violin bow.

Now imagine the guitar player playing exactly the same way every time - in unison with 10 other guitar players while following the whim of a 3rd party, using the full fretboard at very very fast speeds - and not looking at the fret board.

In the end it comes down to what the customer will pay for. Endowments, etc are all built from donations and charities working for the organization or person.

Comparing a (bass) guitarist like, oh say, Paul MacCartney compared to a local guy playing at the local restaurant ... it comes down to popularity and fan following.

On the low end individuals/bands via for play time which may push the pay rate down.

On the high end the customer comes to the individual/band.

All in between is a mixture of vying for a contract and income vs a marketing division to bring in more customers and funds.

In the Orchestras they work by marketing the talent in the organization and going out and using that known talent to bring in donations and increase the visibility, which leads to trying to bring in more donations and increasing the visibility ...

The Detroit SO had a breakdown once of ticket sales and Hall costs somewhere. The ticket sales did not break even with hall costs and staff costs. Donations drove the orchestra. When the economy went south and donations dried up so did salaries.

Of course, there have been orchestras going out of business. Which now increases the competition by more musicians vying for the same position which theoretically to basic economics could lower the salary - but the politics involved is something else.

Of course, there have been orchestras going out of business. Which now increases the competition by more musicians vying for the same position which theoretically to basic economics could lower the salary - but the politics involved is something else.

It isn't politics, it is the business model. You do not want your players to be out looking for a better paying gig, you want them to be focused on giving the best performance possible. If you are looking over your shoulder fearing loss of employment and constantly looking for options, the group will quickly disintegrate.

The entire ensemble isn't contracted on a yearly basis for good reason. It makes it possible for them to set wages - to a certain degree - which will keep membership at a certain level. Folks may choose to move up, but seldom fear loss of position/income if they are performing up to expectations. If boards want to get and keep the best players, the money needs to be there. If they cut wages, the better players will go elsewhere and less experienced players will move in.

Personally, there isn't enough money to get me to move to a metropolitan area where the good paying symphonic gigs are. It just isn't worth it to me.

The Minnesota Orchestral Association on Tuesday made what it calls a "final contract proposal" to its union musicians. And in St. Paul, the musicians made a new proposal to the board of the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra. Both moves came as current contracts expire at midnight, Oct. 1.
The Minnesota Orchestra offer clarifies and adjusts proposed changes in work rules, but maintains the original deal's financial package: a cut in average annual salary from $135,000 to $89,000; guaranteed pension contribution of 7.63 percent of base salary, 10 weeks of paid vacation and up to 26 weeks of paid sick leave.
A spokesman said the musicians are studying the offer.
Musicians at the SPCO made a three-year offer that would cut minimum salaries from the current $78,223 to $70,000 for each of the first two years, and $75,000 in the third year. Union leader Carole Mason Smith said the proposal would save the orchestra more than $700,000. The board's most recent offer would reduce salaries to $62,500, with new members starting at $50,000.
The union also proposed raising ticket prices by 20 percent and hiking monthly membership fees to $7.50, from $5.
The proposal includes a "shared sacrifice" clause that would require senior executives to take a pay cut equal in percentage terms to what the musicians are taking.
In a statement, Richard Davis, chair of the Minnesota Orchestra board's negotiating committee, expressed frustration with the union musicians.
"Nearly six months have passed and we have yet to receive from our players a counterproposal or even any indication of their priorities," he said.

President and CEO Michael Henson would not speculate on what action the Orchestra might take if the musicians reject the offer, and the contract expires.
"If they want more conversation this week, we are here to find a resolution," he said. "We'll see how the week plays out."
The Minnesota season is scheduled to begin Oct. 18 at the Minneapolis Convention Center auditorium. The SPCO will have its fourth set of concerts this weekend.
http://www.startribune.com/local/171271871.html?refer=y

It's almost worth belonging to the American Federation of Musicians...

...just to read the monthly updates on symphonic negotiations and the job openings. We get a good laugh every month as we run down the columns.

Not all of them put wage information into the announcements any longer, but from those that do you can get a very good indication of the state of "professional" music. The pittances that most orchestras pay, compared to what an automobile mechanic (with one hundredth the investment in education) can pull down in Houston is alarming.

(That the smaller groups (Paducah, Syracuse and the like) put ads in the union paper with fee for service payments that barely cover the transportation expenses plus a minimum wage just shows you how desperate most musicians are.)

Push comes to shove, the vast majority of the American public doesn't care two sticks about "art" music, preferring instead to dribble out their money to "rock" stars who get greater compensation than do "art" folks, but who exist in far fewer numbers, thus evening out the demand for consumer dollars to the point that a couple of million albums purchased results in enough money to live a decadent lifestyle like most of the pop world.

(We never heard anything about Sabine Meyer being involved in Rolling Stones like antics, did we? John Dehnman, maybe, but not Sabine.)

Don't get me wrong - I would far rather play "art" music than the pop and rock that I play now. But, getting a couple of hundred bucks for a hard night's work plus a rehearsal or two a month to keep the performance level up, is far more than I could ever realize while competing in an over saturated market full of Sabine Meyer wannabes who clog up all of the non-paying slots, much less the paid ones.

And, while the physical labor involved (I sum up my musical group activities as being six hours of longshoring for every three hours of performance) isn't all that fun at my semi-advanced age of 63-ish years, I have about as much fun with the playing. Pulling off three or four hours of a decent baritone part with doubled clarinet and bass clarinet gives me far more playing time than would the bass clarinet slot with a local orchestra.

It is sad indeed when you come to the realization that the music you like (art, jazz, whatever) doesn't coincide with the tastes of the paying public. The best approach is to accept the fact, and move on.

First, please give the guitar players a break. It's not like we have alto clarinets. :p

Second, I really don't like the argument of, "They're getting paid sooooo much, so they deserve to have their salary cut to $whatever." The thing to look at is the percentage cut. I got about 30% cut for the past four or five years and an increase in the amount I have to pay for health insurance, including some decrease in options. So, I think the Minnesota group is stupid for refusing a slightly more than 10% salary deduction for all of two years. I dunno how much of a decrease that the Detroit group had.

Compare a price of a top of the line guitar against an entry level professional violin. Now add in the price of a professional violin bow.

Now imagine the guitar player playing exactly the same way every time - in unison with 10 other guitar players while following the whim of a 3rd party, using the full fretboard at very very fast speeds - and not looking at the fret board.

Not to mention the fact that it's fretless...:)

Looks like they've settled. BTW, the entry level salary is ~67,000/year

I didn't realize it but the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra was on Strike too until settling this week.

Posted: 5:47 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2012
ASO musicians strike deal, avert delay of season opener

By Ernie Suggs
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
After going without pay for a month, the musicians of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra accepted a new collective bargaining agreement Wednesday, barely averting a postponement of the fall season. The deal will cost players $5.2 million in compensation over two years, change their pay structure, and cut their numbers significantly.

In return, ASO President Stanley Romanstein and a handful of other top ASO executives will forfeit 6 percent of their collective salaries.

The agreement clears the way for the 2012-2013 season to open on time Oct. 4. But the musicians – who claim that the cuts demanded by ASO management will set the orchestra back decades — made it clear that they are far from satisfied. That raises the question of how the symphony, regarded as one of the best in the country, will repair itself.

“The musicians … have agreed to these deep concessions for one reason alone, and that is to do what they do best: continue to play great music for their public at an extraordinarily high level,” the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Players Association wrote in a scathing news release Wednesday night.

Calls to orchestra management were not returned Wednesday evening, and the ASO webpage did not indicate that a deal had been made.

Drew McManus, an industry insider who has followed the negotiations carefully, said Wednesday that while the labor dispute has been settled, the fight is not over, and the lingering bitterness is likely to result in “an ongoing cycle of retribution.”

“There will be less willingness on the part of the musicians to do additional work, the little extra things that help build the organization up,” McManus said. “There’s likely to be bad blood between the folks in the office and the musicians. There’s no way it’s going to put the organization in a place where it’s going to work at maximum efficiency, and I mean on every level – artistic and non-artistic.”

On the union’s website and on their Facebook page, the reaction to the settlement was mixed.

When someone wrote “hooray” on the Facebook in response to news of the deal, a veteran player soberly responded: “Hooray?! This is a dark day in the ASO’s history.”
From the outset, it was clear that the negotiations would be painful. Faced with a debt projected to reach $20 million next year, the ASO and its parent organization, the Woodruff Arts Center, were under tremendous pressure to bring down costs.

Management took the position that musicians’ compensation was the ASO’s single biggest cost and that the players had seen their pay rise dramatically under the four-year contract that expired in August. At every turn, the organization signaled a willingness to stand its ground – even if it meant taking a financial hit by delaying the start of the season.

The musicians waged a passionate PR campaign on the dual themes of artistic quality and fairness.
Trimming compensation and reducing the number of full-time players would roll back years’ worth of strides toward artistic excellence, they warned. Besides, they said, the orchestra’s money troubles were not of the players’ making; instead, they argued, management spent too much on other things, particularly administrative salaries and operating the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre.

Even after the agreement was reached, they hammered on those points. “The musicians are not, and have never been, the cause of financial problems at the ASO,” union leaders wrote. “Their world-class performance is in stark contrast to that of the ASO’s leadership, both current and past. Management must be held accountable for under-performance at nearly every level for the past decade.”

Negotiations reached a breaking point Aug. 25, when the existing contract expired and the ASO stopped paying salaries or benefits. At that point, the musicians had offered to accept $4 million in cuts instead of $5.2 million, an offer management declined.

After several weeks without any talks, Romanstein told the players by email on Sept. 13 that he would feel obligated to cancel all October concerts if no deal was reached this week.

Under the new agreement, the musicians will account for 24 percent of the ASO’s budget, down from 28 percent. The number of musicians will drop from 95 to 88 and the season will be reduced from 52 to 41 weeks in 2012-13 and 42 weeks in 2013-14. Players will still be paid all year, but they will receive only partial pay during those off weeks.

Executives who will see their pay reduced include Romanstein, who according to the latest available IRS records made $314,000 over seven months after he joined the ASO in mid-2010; CFO Donald Fox, who earned $291,000; and three other top ASO managers. None of the other 70 or so staff members will receive a pay cut — despite the union’s calls for a wider sharing of the pain.

McManus said that, despite the musicians’ warnings of irreparable damage, he doubts that the quality of the music will suffer.

“Does that mean that they won’t be playing at the same level as before?” he asked rhetorically. “Or will you keep doing what you do even with less pay and the concessions, because you’re a professional?”

Back
Top Bottom