Clarinet Identification HELP!!!

HI, Can anyone help me identify a rather strange clarinet I just picked up. This clarinet has some strange "paddle" keys on it and appears to be quite old? No makers name I can find, just the serial number 3447 on two sections and "GERMANY". The mouthpiece is rather weird also, has ridges cut in the center of it, the writing on it is faint, but maybe someone can identify the trade mark logo??

Thanks for your help
Rich CL1.jpgCL2.jpgCL3.jpgCL4.jpg

Dude. One of our very few rules is, "Don't cross-post." That means, "Don't post the same thing in different form areas." We consider that spam.

Anyhow, it's an Albert System clarinet. That's why the keywork looks different from your standard Boehm System horn.

Is there a better stamp on the bell or elsewhere on the horn? The CL4.jpg pic is very faint. Any "made in" stamp or serial number?

I do know that Lyrist had a harp-style stamp, but I haven't heard of clarinets from them.

Anyhow, it's an Albert System clarinet. That's why the keywork looks different from your standard Boehm System horn.

Is there a better stamp on the bell or elsewhere on the horn? The CL4.jpg pic is very faint. Any "made in" stamp or serial number?

I do know that Lyrist had a harp-style stamp, but I haven't heard of clarinets from them.

As for the double post, I was a mistake, It appeared I had posted it the "root" directory, I tried to move it to "other makes and models"

The only markings on the clarinet is the SN 3447 and "GERMANY" near one of the joints. The mouthpiece appears to be marked "MADE IN GERMANY" On both side of the harp stamp in the banners is "TRADE MARKE", Under the Harp stamp and above Made in Germany is a stamp that looks like overlapping letters with the main letter "S"

CL5.jpgCL6.jpgCL7.jpg

I did confuse myself with that CL4.jpg pic. I thought it was of the clarinet, not the mouthpiece. However, that really doesn't change my post. I just have to add a couple comments:

* A mouthpiece can be purchased separately from the horn. It is certainly possible that the same folks who made your clarinet made the mouthpiece, but it's generally a poor idea to say that the clarinet is an X because the mouthpiece has an X stamped on it.
* There were about a billion instrument manufacturers in Germany. Helen, one of our CEs and Germanic sax expert, might have seen that harp stamp someplace (again, that doesn't necessarily prove who manufactured it), but the only manufacturers I can think of that used a stamp like that were French.

Here's the good and bad:

* There are some old Albert System horns out there that are worth a bit (like $1000+). However, you need a correct identification and my clarinet identifying skills aren't that good.
* There is a possibility that your horn uses the High Pitch (HP) intonation standard. High pitch horns can't play with modern instruments and a keyed woodwind cannot be converted from high pitch to the modern low pitch standard, thus they are generally valued extremely low. How can you tell what pitch you have? Well, if the horn is in playable condition, use an electronic tuner to check. Most of the notes are in tune at A=440hz? That's modern pitch. Most of the notes in tune at A=457hz? That's high pitch. There was also a German standard around WWII of A=435hz. That'll just sound a bit out of tune, but you may be able to correct for that if you're a good enough player. Anyhow, if the horn isn't playable, look for an HP or H, LP or L, or A=435 or A=470 stamp.

I did confuse myself with that CL4.jpg pic. I thought it was of the clarinet, not the mouthpiece. However, that really doesn't change my post. I just have to add a couple comments:

* A mouthpiece can be purchased separately from the horn. It is certainly possible that the same folks who made your clarinet made the mouthpiece, but it's generally a poor idea to say that the clarinet is an X because the mouthpiece has an X stamped on it.
* There were about a billion instrument manufacturers in Germany. Helen, one of our CEs, might have seen that harp stamp someplace (again, that doesn't necessarily prove who manufactured it), but the only manufacturers I can think of that used a stamp like that were French.

Here's the good and bad:

* There are some old Albert System horns out there that are worth a lot. However, you need a correct identification and my clarinet identifying skills aren't that good.
* There is a possibility that your horn uses the High Pitch (HP) intonation standard. High pitch horns can't play with modern instruments and a keyed woodwind cannot be converted from high pitch to the modern low pitch standard. How can you tell? Well, if the horn is in playable condition, use an electronic tuner to check. Most of the notes are in tune at A=440hz? That's modern pitch. Most of the notes in tune at A=457hz? That's high pitch. There was also a German standard around WWII of A=435hz. That'll just sound a bit out of tune, but you may be able to correct for that if you're a good enough player. Anyhow, if the horn isn't playable, look for an HP or H, LP or L, or A=435 or A=470 stamp. It may even be under one of the keys.
* I can't tell if you have an A, Bb or C clarinet, just by looking at the pic. In a general sense, A clarinets are generally worth more. An easy way to check, other than with an electronic tuner, is to put the horn next to a modern Bb clarinet. A lot bigger? A clarinet. A noticeable bit, but not incredibly so, smaller? C clarinet.

One thing you can do, especially if nobody else here has seen a horn like yours, is to browse eBay.de -- that's the German eBay 'site -- and start looking for similar horns.

As I saw the first post I was thinking German because of the register key design. They did that back then and still do it today - ie, it's not straight. and it doesn't wrap around to the top which creates a flimsy design. It's puts it off to the side which helped minimize condensation buildup.

It's a later Albert clarinet though because it has rollers and a metal thumb tube. The really early ones had "spoon" shaped keys (like a modern oboe !!), then they were better shaped, then had the rollers. The metal tube thumb register was later too - normally it was just a hole drilled in the wood with no insert.

The mouthpiece has those grooves which allowed one to wrap the string around the reed.

So probably early 1900s german albert clarinet.

Unsure on any make unless you can find a specific maker mark
a harp style stamp was common for german, french etc makers
we need something more identifiable than that.
but I'm not "in the know" of vintage german clarinets either.

nice find.

There are some highly valuable german clarinets out there ... but they are highly valuable usually only in germany.
otherwise Selmer Paris and Buffet Crampon alberts are sought after and may get more than $1,000 USD
most of the stuff out there is sub$150 fodder

Back
Top Bottom