Clarinets and Cold Weather

saxhound

Staff member
CE/Moderator
I had to sub in a big band the other night. The temperature was about 5 degrees F. When it's that cold out, I always debate about bringing my clarinet (1963 R13), and usually decide to leave it home. That's OK for rehearsal, but not for gigs. I do have a back-up, but it is nearly as nice - an Evette Schaeffer Master Model from the late 60's.

I know I can get there early, and let the thing warm up gradually, but I don't like the idea of the quick transition from warm to extremely cold to warm again with a repeat on the way home. I also make sure and grease the joints before assembling.

What do you cold climate folks do? Should I buy a cheap resonite horn for those really drastic days?

Your case will insulate your clarinet a little from the cold.
As long as you carry it in the heated passenger compartment of your vehicle, and not the trunk, it should be just fine.
I've been doing this with my Selmer Signature, and it's managed to survive thus far.

My Selmer Series 9 "full Boehm" flew in air cargo holds from Saint Louis to Pleiku RVN and back again, this without any visible damage.

Having said that, I still watch out for my wooden horns, trying to keep them in a comfort zone of about 72° F or so. No harm in being careful.

Some of the horror stories that I've read and been told lead me to believe that my experience is not the norm. I hope that it stays that way.

that's why I have a B12 .... also for the case of someone accidentally kicking it over in the stand. Better a B12 hit the stage than an R13, same with a crack.

That's what I am thinking. It looks like I could get a nice rehabbed one from clarinuts for about $250. Maybe he would take my Master Model in trade with some cash thrown in (to me!).

I wouldn't play my good wood horn outside when it's that cold.
But carrying it in your vehicle and playing INSIDE shouldn't be and issue.
Some of us who live in the 'Frozen North' don't always have a choice.
You either play the 'good horn', or, you play the 'good horn'.

It just makes me nervous. Even though I don't load the truck till the last minute, and keep the horn in the passenger compartment, when I get to the gig and open the case, it still feels like it has been in the deep freeze. I try to let it sit with the case open (always a risky proposition when everyone is setting up around you) for 10 or 15 minutes, then give the corks a good dose of grease before assembling. I think part of my problem is that I had it overhauled a couple years ago, and the new tenon corks are really tight. I have sanded them down a little, but don't want to get carried away with that.

Leave earlier, leave the clarinet in the case so it gradually comes to temperature when you get there. Don't use a case with a plastic shell and a metal valence, something with some mass to it that doesn't easily transmit thermal changes, like a protec carryall. Swab that sucker well after the gig. Warm the car up before getting in. Don't leave it in the car if you stop to eat. Leave it in the case when you get home.

Back
Top Bottom