Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

Classical clarinet

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Construction Techniques' started by MrDibbs, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Attached Files:

2. Daniel demonstrating gun drilling

Attached Files:

3. Rough turned and bored.

P1020144.JPG

4. Started work on the top and middle joints.

Attached Files:

5. All three joints turned. P1020151.JPG

6. Lee, the other guy doing the course, at the setting out machine drilling holes and milling channels for keys.

Attached Files:

7. 3 joints with holes, channels and waste sections filed away by hand.

After this all three go in a bath of tung oil and have a vacuum applied for about 20 mins. Then they are left overnight.

Attached Files:

8. jbtsax

jbtsax Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Is that square one going to be the reed? :) Seriously, that is fascinating stuff. What type of wood are you working with?

9. It's European Box wood, grown in England. Daniel's had it in storage for thirty years so it should be reasonably well seasoned.

10. Here's an interesting thing. Three pieces, looking much the same colour went into the oil and this is what came out.

P1020159.JPG

11. So I made a new one.
    P1020161.JPG

12. Bell in progress.

_1020170.JPG

13. The results of a lot of filing and a little soldering.

P1020191.JPG

P1020187.JPG

14. Barrels. One had the same discoloration issue as the original middle joint, but I'm keeping this one.

_1020175.JPG

The middle one should give me a fatter sound.

15. Sockets and tenons cut and tenons lapped with hemp thread, beeswax and tallow. It's starting to look like a clarinet.

_1020197.JPG

Our staff's websites: