Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

Contrabass or Double bass clarinet

Discussion in 'Bb Contrabass Clarinet' started by Gandalfe, Apr 8, 2010.

  1. Gandalfe

    Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    A friend of mine who is borrowing my contrabass and contra alto clarinets for an upcoming concert came across the terminology of Double bass or double alto clarinet. Anyone ever heard of that? It sounds like it might be an archaic term.
  2. tictactux

    tictactux Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

    I'd rather use the contra-something term, even if it reminds some of an affair Ronnie R. had during office.

    Or maybe BBb or EEb? That conveys the "double" thingy in its acronym...
  3. pete

    pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

    Whenever I've heard "Double Bass," it refers to a string bass. Following what TTT mentions, it's why a a contrabass clarinet is called a "BBb bass" in some literature. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bass
  4. I've heard both, but same as Pete, it generally refers to the upright...

    SOTSDO Old King Log Staff Member CE/Moderator

    Is not "double bass" really nothing more than a translation of the German term for the upright bass viol? I seem to recall this from a long time ago, but my memory (like much else about me) is a bit fuzzy...

    Besides, as we all know, while an alto clarinet is an "alto" clarinet, the bass clarinet is really a "tenor" clarinet, the so-called "contra-alto" clarinet is really a "bass" clarinet, and only the Bb contrabass clarinet is really a contra-bass clarinet.
Our staff's websites: