Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Correct setup for pitch 442HZ

Hello! I have The Buffet Rc Prestige in 442Hz. Do I understand correctly, I have to use a barrel length of 650 mm and a European pitch mouthpiece (442hz)?

Sorry for my English))

You don't really have to do anything.

The current standard pitch, outside of some concert halls, is A=440hz. The difference from 442 to 440 is incredibly minor. I have done some testing, with an electronic tuner, trying to play an A=440hz instrument at 442hz and it wasn't difficult at all. I'd assume that the reverse is equally true.

There are a couple clarinet manufacturers making a mouthpiece specifically for A=442hz instruments, but mouthpiece sizes vary so much that I'd say you'd find more difference between different manufacturers than you would between a single manufacturer's A=440 vs A=442 mouthpiece.

The longer barrel will help if you have significant problems with the intonation standards, but note that this isn't "making" your clarinet an A=440 instrument. It's making it easier to play your A=442hz clarinet in the A=440hz intonation standard.

OK, I probably incorrectly expressed. But I need to play in 442HZ. And now I have following setup - instrument in 442Hz, 650mm barrel and Vandoren b40 mouthpiece (European pitch). And.. It plays very high, MORE than 442Hz, especially in the second octave. So I think, if the lnstrument is already in 442, may need to use a barrel 660 mm and mouthpiece in 440Hz??

I believe the 65.0 mm barrel is going to be made for playing at 442 Hz using an average mpc, so both of those together is giving you about 444 Hz, so as you say, having a longer barrel or lower pitched mpc would help some.

You don't really have to do anything.

The current standard pitch, outside of some concert halls, is A=440hz. The difference from 442 to 440 is incredibly minor. I have done some testing, with an electronic tuner, trying to play an A=440hz instrument at 442hz and it wasn't difficult at all. I'd assume that the reverse is equally true.

There are a couple clarinet manufacturers making a mouthpiece specifically for A=442hz instruments, but mouthpiece sizes vary so much that I'd say you'd find more difference between different manufacturers than you would between a single manufacturer's A=440 vs A=442 mouthpiece.

The longer barrel will help if you have significant problems with the intonation standards, but note that this isn't "making" your clarinet an A=440 instrument. It's making it easier to play your A=442hz clarinet in the A=440hz intonation standard.

I don't know why instrument makers make such big deal out of this. It is such a minor difference.

Consider buying some tuning rings rings instead of a longer barrel.

Buffet actually makes a
Bb 440 pitch clarinet model # BC1106
and Bb 442 clarinet model # BC1107

as 2 separate clarinets for accuracy of tuning and pitch.
==> http://www.buffet-crampon.com/en/instruments/clarinets/rc-prestige/

Although, years ago Selmer-Paris went a different route and provided different length barrels to accomplish the same thing to their specifications (if I recall correctly). But, it seems nowadays they have also gone to two separate clarinets one for 440 and another for 442. I think it was about a 620mm for 442hz and 650mm for 440hz for a particular model .. from memory as it's no longer on any website.

Also, with the 442 set up I do believe you have to use a mpc designed for high pitch and the appropriate barrel.

Vandoren recommends using a 442hz specific mpc in addition to the correct barrel (with a 442 instrument).

if I recall correctly, Around 1994 Vandoren started identifying "Series 13" as a 440hz design specific mouthpiece. And one not specified thus as a 442hz.
Though, if you bought a mouthpiece Before they were all transitioned there would be no identification.

One of Vandoren's more recent mouthpieces the "Masters" series actually only comes in 442. You have to purchase tuning rings to bring it to 440 ==> http://www.vandoren-en.com/Tuning-Rings-for-Masters-Bb-Clarinet-Mouthpieces_a104.html

here in the US you rarely come across a 442hz instrument. so the above is from memory of reading literature, etc.

Buffet offered their S1 sax in both A=440hz and A=442hz. The difference was the neck and a few other tweaks. (The A=440hz horns also supposedly had an "A" after the serial number.)

As said, the difference between A=440 and A=442 is incredibly minor. If you want to try different mouthpieces, barrels, tuning rings, etc., go for it. I'd probably try the tuning rings, first, as they're the least expensive "hack." However, you'd probably benefit more by doing more ear training and playing with an electronic tuner calibrated to A=442hz.

Re: 440 vs 442: over the years I’ve come across several full boehm buffets (RC model) from the period 1975-85 with serial numbers beginning with an “F”. I’ve been told that all buffets with the “F” before the s/n are built to play at European a=442/444, while those without play at a=440/442. (?true?) I tried someone’s advice to use an Vandoren M series mouthpiece with a slightly longer barrel and I was able to get a very accurate scale at the lower pitch.

Back
Top Bottom