Count the Instruments this guy Plays...

I've been mesmerized by Masato Honda since I heard him do the alto sax solo in the Seatbelts' "Tank" from Cowboy Bebop. This video show a few of the other instruments he plays. Enjoy.

Impressive, though I can't say I liked his sound on clarinet at all.

This is the old Wayne Newton trick - learn a little bit on everything and dazzle the world with your comprehensive musical skills. Useful as a parlor trick to impress the nerdy hotties, but of little real utility in the grand scheme of things. As mentioned, he's not all that much of a clarinet player, for one thing.

I have a friend who learned (by rote) the opening of a florid piano piece from the early Romantic period, probably something out of the Rachmaninoff catalog. His trick with this was to sit down at a piano at a party, with a look of ennui on his face, and launch into this. The kicker is that his wife, who he took care to ensure was on the other side of the room when he started, would break in at just the right moment with a loud "Oh Jim, stop showing off!", whereupon he would stop and look shy.

(While a very good musician, primarily on saxophone and bassoon, he otherwise could not play a lick of piano.)

Some clarinet players (and not a few saxophonists, for that matter) look down on "doubling", all the while ignoring the economic realities of the music workplace. The rest of us hunker down and just make it work.

Some clarinet players (and not a few saxophonists, for that matter) look down on "doubling", all the while ignoring the economic realities of the music workplace. The rest of us hunker down and just make it work.
Or try to make it work. The clarinet and flute are difficult for most saxophonists to master. I suppose it's all about time on the stick.

Flute +1 for me. Oboe's actually easier.

I'm still happy that I hooked Gandalfe on the music from Cowboy Bebop. Several of my all-time favorite pieces are from it.

I have an arrangement of "Tank" from said work, but (alas) two of my older trombone players are not up to the quirky rhythms and rapid position changes of the piece. So, it remains unplayed...

Sign me up for a copy too, if you don't mind.:)

Yes, thanks!

I would like to point out that...

...I am STILL waiting for your real mailing addresses, Carl and Pete. I had to shift all of the library boxes (on top of the necessary one) to get down to the master copy, and I would really like to put it (and them) back soon, as they are cluttering up the music room.

Email to my private email address: sensha at earthlink.net (replace the word with the appropriate symbol.)

Email sent.

Thanks

Last edited:
I used to do a jazz club show in which I played trumpet, flugelhorn, cornet, piccolo trumpet, valve trombone, alto, bari, and tenor saxes throughout the evening. Impressive until you realize (which only musicians did) that it's really only two instruments. Valves and saxes. I stopped doing the show, though. The schlep was killing me.

Back
Top Bottom