Demonstrating that it doesn't have to be old ...

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
That sax would clean up real nice with a good polishing and spot re-plating. Not for that price however!

My point of comparison used to be newer vs. older mark VI saxes. Selmer made these horns for 20 years. Sometimes it seemed to me that the older ones looked better. Maybe the old guys took better care of their horns? There are so many possible explanations. I just don't know.

My point of comparison used to be newer vs. older mark VI saxes. Selmer made these horns for 20 years. Sometimes it seemed to me that the older ones looked better. Maybe the old guys took better care of their horns? There are so many possible explanations. I just don't know.

I have 2 of the last Mark VI's made. My alto (240XXX) and my soprano (266XXX) are both are pretty darn minty. I guess I made it to the category of "old guys"! :wink: Thanks Randy, you're a real pal. :emoji_smile:

Right-Side3.jpg

Selmer-Mark-VI-Sop-Front-s.jpg

Well, you had the US vs. French lacquer which were slightly different color and probably had a different composition. IIRC, there was also a switch to a completely new lacquer sometime in the late 1960s. I do also remember that Selmer's chief engraver died in the 1960s and the change in the engraving style could easily affect how the lacquer ages.

I can say that American-made horns that had a lot of engraving never seem to have fared well. It's getting a lot more different to find, say, a Martin Magna with all its original lacquer intact.

I'd say that all the above makes a good argument for plated horns over lacquered ones, except the horn I started off this thread with was plated :).

Those are beautifully well maintained saxes there Helen. As a tech I respect the pride you take in your instrument's appearance while at the same time realizing that if everyone were like you it would put many of us out of business. :)

Those are beautifully well maintained saxes there Helen. As a tech I respect the pride you take in your instrument's appearance while at the same time realizing that if everyone were like you it would put many of us out of business. :)
I say the same thing about computer problems. I think EVERY technician of any kind does, too.

Well thank you. I do take care of my babies. Those 2 have been with me since university in the early 80s. I got them used from the same owner, when he switched to Herb Coufs. Other than a touch more lacquer wear on the octave lever, they look exactly the same as the day I bought them... Which is pretty darn minty. (The original owner was just as anal as I am.) ;-)

I say the same thing about computer problems. I think EVERY technician of any kind does, too.

Interestingly enough, I look after my computers the same way, which is likely why I don't--knock on wood--generally have computer problems. I have had exactly 1 issue over more than 15 years of computer usage, and 5 computers.

My cars are the same, which is why my 1989 244 Volvo with just 100,000 km (approx. 62,000 miles) is in showroom condition, and about to get its collector plate. And why my everyday-driver (a 1991 245 Volvo wagon), is in pretty minty condition, despite it's 167,000 miles (it was a California car). I service them religiously, and garage store them.

91-240-Volvo-Wagon.jpg

I think some people just look after their stuff, and others don't. Perhaps the condition of a person's saxophones, is a reflection of the bigger picture.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. :D

Back
Top Bottom