Detroit Symphony Orchestra - financial problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Clarinet CE/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

what was interesting was the statistics.
    Donors up 27% or 1,000 people.

Thus they had a little over 3700 donors before.

2. SOTSDO

SOTSDO Old King Log Staff Member CE/Moderator

I have always viewed these "upticks" as being due to the increased publicity given the organization by the crisis. There is a certain "well" of supporters for anything (baseball, the Republican Party, public art) that normally remains untapped for a myriad of reasons. Whether through indifference, poor communication by the subject desiring support, or other reasons, the "message" just doesn't get through.

Comes the crisis, and there are two effects:

One is that the increased "visibility" of the subject, this due to the turmoil surrounding the crisis. This alerts the "indifferent" and "out of touch" portions of the pool, and some of these might rise to the challenge and start helping out.

The second is what I call the "pile on" effect. The very act of helping out a down and out operation tends to draw others who, through shame or enlightenment, now choose to join the crowd.

Assuming success, these factors provide a bump that lasts as long as the "feel good" momentum carries forward. Once things shift back to "Things As Usual", some of these marginal folks will drop away.

Or, at least that's what has apparently happened out San Diego way, and in Louisiana. And, like Louisiana (but unlike Southern California), the traditional participant base is eroding. In the case of Detroit, the departure of the upper and middle classes as industry closes down is the issue. In New Orleans (which is the only urban area worthy of the name in the Pelican State), people were dribbling away well before the flood, and business had already abandoned the place. No work and no (comparatively speaking) well-off people means that "art music" takes it on the chin.

While art music has been taking it on the chin for a good many years (starting perhaps back in the 1920's), it could still survive if there were interested folks with enough money to bear their increased funding burden. Take them away, though, and you might as well sell off the music library and rent the pianos and tympani, for the writing is on the wall.

(Do orchestral players use their own tympani? I know that the harp players bring their own tools, but do the percussionists do so as well? Or, do they maintain two sets of kettles, one for the shop and the other for the home studio and practice room?)

3. Steve

on a positive note

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110712/ENT01/107120321/Star-DSO-cellist-returns-on-a-high-note

4. SOTSDO

SOTSDO Old King Log Staff Member CE/Moderator

I wonder if...

...he knows the words to "Solidarity Forever"?

5. Steve

http://www.freep.com/article/201109...lanning?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Debt threatens DSO's turnaround planning

6. Steve

Things are looking up, well, kind of

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120531/METRO/205310401/

7. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This thread almost reads like a soap opera. Never give up appears to be the over riding theme.

8. hakukani

hakukani

9. retread

retread

10. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

From teh article:

"Among other things, Stern split the violins to place them on either side of the stage (not everyone approves) and moved the lower strings — cello and viola — together into the center."

I'm canceling my membership right now!

Kidding aside -- I'm unlikely to pay for a membership for an orchestra that's 1000 miles away from where I live -- if that factoid made the article, it must have been a really slow news day. Which, come to think of it, isn't a bad thing ....

11. hakukani

hakukani

Yes, especially considering that the split violin was the norm until the late 1950s.

12. Steve

Update on the DSO

copied from the Detroit News 4/18/2013
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-community?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

13. Steve

Playing in the Community ... For instance at a local High School a few miles from me.
    they've been doing really well in their outreach program as I've seen them in high school, churches, and many other venues. I think during the strike they actually practiced from time to time in various venues such as churches, schools, etc.

http://apps.detroitnews.com/apps/multimedia/gallery.php?id=15938
    [​IMG]