eBay heads up

kymarto

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Sorry, this should probably not go here, but otherwise it will not be seen: there is a decent-looking Romanian instrument on German eBay--two days to go. No reserve and presently at under $50. The seller ships only to Germany, but if anyone is interested in a possibly cheap gamble you could write him and see what is possible.

Sorry, this should probably not go here, but otherwise it will not be seen: there is a decent-looking Romanian instrument on German eBay--two days to go. No reserve and presently at under $50. The seller ships only to Germany, but if anyone is interested in a possibly cheap gamble you could write him and see what is possible.

76 Euro now:)

It looks identical to mine. How do you know it's Romanian?

George

Could be Hungarian, I suppose, but the seller says 40 yrs. old, and it is my understanding that most all the post-WW 2 tárogatók have been made in Romania. There is also a very handsome Sternberg with five rings and auto octave key on eBay France. About 2000 USD now--no bids. Not a bargain, but a very good price.

wierd

The thing is only 45 minutes drive away from me - and I hear about it through a US forum, from a guy living in Japan....

Must admit I'm tempted.

Could be Hungarian, I suppose, but the seller says 40 yrs. old, and it is my understanding that most all the post-WW 2 tárogatók have been made in Romania. There is also a very handsome Sternberg with five rings and auto octave key on eBay France. About 2000 USD now--no bids. Not a bargain, but a very good price.

I think it's Hungarian. I have the same one, and the Hungarian kid I bought it from had an expert in Hungary find it for him, and supposedly it was made in Hungary around the same time you mention.

But on the other hand, they could both be wrong:)

George

The thing is only 45 minutes drive away from me - and I hear about it through a US forum, from a guy living in Japan....

Must admit I'm tempted.

But I am a cameraman for ZDF, so that completes the circle ;)

If I didn't have two good ones, I would definitely bid on it.

I think it's Hungarian. I have the same one, and the Hungarian kid I bought it from had an expert in Hungary find it for him, and supposedly it was made in Hungary around the same time you mention.

But on the other hand, they could both be wrong:)

George

Hard to tell just by looking. Most Romanian ones also look like that, right? Basically a copy of the Stowasser 19865. The keywork seems very shiny, which to my mind says Romania. The wood, though, from what I can see, looks to be good quality.

Hard to tell just by looking. Most Romanian ones also look like that, right? Basically a copy of the Stowasser 19865. The keywork seems very shiny, which to my mind says Romania. The wood, though, from what I can see, looks to be good quality.

I was under the impression that Romanians typically paint these things black. Mine has really nice, durable finish that doesn't chip. Also,my keywork is not shiny like the one on my Timis.

George

Well it went for 313 euros. Roughly $400US. And most of the bidding was in the last couple of minutes...

Guessing someone got a bargain there. Wasn't me.

Back
Top Bottom