eBay Mark VI special

Damn... It doesn't have a neck... And I was going to bid on it and everything. It's just like the one David Sanborn plays... I bet I could really get those split tones well on it. :D

One man's trash...

...another man's treasure, and all of that.

I was going to do the same thing with my alto, but moved away from a proper workshop before I got around to it. Then I played a Conn in working condition, and decided that it might be better to make it into a working horn instead of a lamp, seen here in the middle in all of its silver-plated glory:

completestandwithhorns.jpg

Well, you get the general idea...

It is now up to $510 with about 3 days left to go. Maybe in this case the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. ;)

If you have a source for Mark VI alto bows for $239 I would be most interested. Neck socket screws are another matter altogether.

Hmm.

The horn's $510
Simple repair for $239
A 3rd party neck for $200 to $400 (I saw a VI alto neck actually sell on eBay for $900, recently)
Rebuild from WorldWideSax is $749
WWS full respring is $210
WWS stripping the lacquer is $200
I think the last time I saw a silver replate it was in the $1050 range for an alto. To save cash, maybe keep it unlacquered.

The big question is how much they'd charge for fixing all the broken stuff that isn't included in an overhaul. I think that'd probably double the repair bill. It also needs a couple keyguards and a key.

So, put in $2800 to $3500 and get a horn probably worth in the $2800 to $3500 range :).

Hey, Steve, didn't you say you wanted another VI? :emoji_rage:

Hey, Steve, didn't you say you wanted another VI? :emoji_rage:

Yes I do. I did seriously think about getting a bow for it.

we'll see what John does though. Maybe I'll buy it from him after he repairs it all ... I just don't have time for projects like that.

After wasting time on it I might just get upset and turn it into a lamp.
How ironic would that be.

Yes I do. I did seriously think about getting a bow for it.

we'll see what John does though. Maybe I'll buy it from him after he repairs it all ... I just don't have time for projects like that.

After wasting time on it I might just get upset and turn it into a lamp.
How ironic would that be.

One dumpster horn in a lifetime is more than enough for me. I'm still trying to recover from working on the last one. :)

One dumpster horn in a lifetime is more than enough for me. I'm still trying to recover from working on the last one. :)
Although, that one did turn out really nice.

bummer, and I was going to offer you 1/3 of what you put into it after it was all done !! :)

I PLEAD NOT GUILTY. It is nuts to pay $1825 for a Mark VI in that condition, I would have stopped at $1800 if I were bidding on that one.

Oh oh.... You mean I shouldn't have bought it? :emoji_smile: I couldn't help myself, I was just swept up in the heat of the eBay moment... Not...

I did buy a horn this morning. However, mine actually has all its keys attached, and its neck still with it. Imagine that. But will I sound like Sandborn with it? That's what I want to know? :wink: (It's not a Mark VI BTW, so I guess I won't.) :-D

Yah. Unfortunately, you bought a Mark IV. They're not as good.
I always wanted a mk IV.
Back in the day before I got my Selmer mk VII I used to peruse the ForSales, Musical Instrument section of the local newspapers. There listed in Black & White was Selmer mk IV, Selmer mk V and Selmer mk VIs. What a selection of the range of Selmer horns for the unwitting Jr High/High School student.

Oh I miss those days of variety. Now I only see mk VIs for sale. :emoji_astonished:

Back
Top Bottom