Erm register + articulation stuff

My B flat sounds quite noticably different from my B natural (both in staff)
:TrebleClef::Line3: <------
B flat sounds like... solid, you could say, like open G.
B NATURAL however, is sometimes hard to get out and is somewhat fuzzy. It's easy to slur through the break though.

UH forgot to mention.... I don't know how to articulate... my tongue is really slow and inaccurate and messy and if I try, I get this airy crap with my note, if it doesn't squeal.

Before offering any suggestions, it is important to find out how long you have been playing and the condition of your clarinet ie. the last time it was serviced.

we were trying to help you in this thread
http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3705

but need more information.

There are two key reasons you may be getting these type of problems

1 - your clarinet is not setup really well which can cause minor to significant issues.

2 - your beginning techniques were not adequately taught / self-learned

of course we could be missing something too.

But in order to give some good advice we need to have a much larger foundation of knowledge of your instrument and your capability.

Think of it like a car. If you took your car to a mechanic and told him it wasn't working right what would the mechanic then do ... probably ask some more questions to understand the problem better ...

UH forgot to mention.... I don't know how to articulate... my tongue is really slow and inaccurate and messy and if I try, I get this airy crap with my note, if it doesn't squeal.

to improve your articulation you have to do several things.

First is you have to be accurate in your tonguing. There are many methods of doing this but the most common is using the tip of your tongue on the tip of the reed. Lightly, and not slapping against the reed.

To practice this and articulation in general, do a C Major scale.
Pick a tempo, say 80 bpm
and play 4 quarter notes on the C, and tongue/articulate each one.
Then move up and back down the scale.

Then try a slightly faster tempo, or 8 eight notes for four beats before moving up /down the scale

Then just keep practicing and working on a faster and faster tempo. This won't be immediate improvement but you should improve over time.

Last edited:
Keep in mind...

...that your tongue is "operated" by quite a few muscles that are called upon to do things when playing any musical instrument that they do not do during normal speech. In effect, the type of tonguing "exercise" given above is an actual "physical" exercise as well. Repetition of the boring path that Steve has laid out may not be fun, but it will expose those muscles to motions to which they may not be accustomed, and with the repetition comes the mastery not only of the mental side of clarinet playing, but of the physical as well.

When learning how to play the clarinet, there's quite a bit of physical stuff that you need to deal with to the point that you can execute it without thinking. Fingers on keys don't need to develop 'muscle memory' (no such thing exists - the skills lie entirely in your brain), but they do need to be able to execute the motions that your brain sends to them.

I've had long periods during my life where I've not put my hands on an instrument. When I did get around to playing again, it was a matter of "the spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak" as I knew exactly what to do, but my embouchure and hands were just not capable of making it happen at that remove.

That's where practice is essential, as it keeps both mind and body "sharp". And, when first you try to play, it's frustrating to the extreme.

Just keep at it, and the skills will come. And, don't ever pick up an alto clarinet - ask to play the bass instead.

Back
Top Bottom