Faces to Names

08-gall-sea.jpg

I'm on my way to the stage. At the Blue Note in NYC.

Julian

[resize=180]http://www.audio-music.info/pic/Kenny_G.jpg[/resize]

I haven't aged well.

I'm on my way to the stage. At the Blue Note in NYC.

Julian

You bear a remarkable resemblance to a good friend and colleague of mine Julian. Are you from Brooklyn by chance? Have a relative who plays sax and sings as well? My friend Ray worked for Motown. He worked with Aretha Franklin and the Jackson 5 (among others) before moving to Canada.

GREAT shirt Helen!
Im not a "regular", but cant resist:

Thanks CHasR!. That festival was the only time I've ever worn it however. It's a bit loud, and after a major line-up change, we no longer do Hawaiian shirts. Pity...

BTW, you're a regular.

[resize=180]http://www.audio-music.info/pic/Kenny_G.jpg[/resize]

I haven't aged well.

:tongue: Bad joke... I thought you were a head of broccoli. :???:

You bear a remarkable resemblance to a good friend and colleague of mine Julian. Are you from Brooklyn by chance? Have a relative who plays sax and sings as well? My friend Ray worked for Motown. He worked with Aretha Franklin and the Jackson 5 (among others) before moving to Canada.

No Helen, I'm not from Brooklyn although I seem to spend a lot of my time working there. I'm originally from the Philadelphia area. I worked Aretha's show a few times, don't remember seeing any doppelgangers there. But Ray sure sounds like an interesting guy.......and handsome, too!

Hardy har har har!

Julian

The only photo I have of myself playing is this old newspaper clipping of the 1968 Intercollegiate Jazz Festival held at the University of Utah.

Johnintercollegiatejazzfestcropped.jpg

A more recent photo shows me working on "dumpster horn" at this summer's NAPBIRT saxophone clinic. As you can see, I haven't aged well either. :)

Johnwork.jpg

:tongue: Bad joke... I thought you were a head of broccoli. :???:
I was definitely thinking about going to Kim Pelletier's website -- she's the one that did the avatar and is an SOTW admin -- but I thought Mr. Gorelick would be more recognizable. 'Course CHasR also beat me to the fake photo thing. Darn you, CHasR! Darn you to heck!

I have no digital photos of myself except for the one that's on the SOTW articles I wrote. That was taken on my wedding day (my 2nd marriage) almost 12 years ago. I'm about 70 pounds heavier -- I weighed 140lbs in the pic; I'm over 6' tall. I'm also a lot greyer. I do have a video of me around somewhere of me 8ish years ago, singing lead tenor in a barbershop quartet. Maybe I'll look for that.

Y'all don't want me to try to take a pic of me, today: I'm still sick and look it. The wife says "flu." I say "West Nile."

I'd actually like it if, on the neglected "meet the staff" thread, we did have pics of all our staff. Just because. Just thinking in print.

It's also nice to see that Paul Desmond jbt posted a pic.

I do miss...

...the hipster sideburns...

I have this old photo:

img0307qz.jpg

That's me in the chair, and my drummer Robby Parker, about to clean up a tooth stub to recement a crown that came loose. Dr. Parker, a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Texas dental school, doesn't need laughing gas - he's more than funny enough without it.

Next, a caricature:

terrycartoon.png

That was when I was the terror of the Newton PDA system on AOL. Every Monday night, I hosted an "on line" talk show and trivia contest called "Nothin' But Newton". I was on there for about seven years, and for most of those I threw an annual party at Macworld Boston. This sketch was the result of one of those pizza fests.

I gave it all up when Jobs killed the Newton system, and stopped working for AOL shortly thereafter. Two years ago, I got a $3,000 check from them as settlement for overtime worked but not paid. Sweet!

Then there's this:

photo5mq.jpg

The old man and his young thug son. Some people brag about how smart their children are; I like to point out that my son can whup anybody who ever pulled an illegal move on his Dad.

And this:

p1000860h.jpg

That's me on a dirty winter day in a New Orleans used music stuff shop, holding a very old Selmer sax. Too pricey for me though - I already had a good alto.

And this:

photo2eqa.jpg

Me and "my girls", doing our classic version of Love Shack before a crowd of three thousand or so. I can't sing worth a lick, but anyone with a deep voice and a high embarrassment threshold can manage Love Shack.

And this:

p1010682tx.jpg

Playing for a party is usually fun, but this was us playing for a party for about 800 Shell Oil employees who had just been laid off. The mood was somber, to say the least. However, they did have a great carving station with unlimited rare roast beef - I took home three meals worth at the end of the night.

I don't solo that much, but occasionally I will play the baritone solo from the Basie arrangement of Misty:

p1010702b.jpg

I don't play it enough to have it memorized, but I am proud that I manage the altissimo portions without a hitch.

However, people would usually rather look at photos of the vocalists:

img2738wi.jpg

That's our Anissa, just before she left to move to rural Arkansas. A great vocalist, as well as one who really knew how to put on a show.

And finally, another couple of three vocalists:

dsc00065dj.jpg

I used to use that one as a screen saver on my laptop. The two on the ends are eminently forgettable - the one on the left used to spend half the time at gigs chatting up the young guys (and missing her songs in the process), while the one on the right was competent enough but used to spot herself out in the audience and carry on a conversation that resembled a jackdaw cawing at the moon.

The one in the center is the incomparable Grace Hargis. She used to sing for us back in the early 2000s, but has since moved off to Dallas, where she keeps busy doing Star Furniture commercials.

I sat and watched while she walked out on the stage for the first time during a New Year's Eve with seven hundred or so in a crowded ballroom. The sound level dropped from a mass of drunken chatter down to where you could have heard a pin drop as Grace wobbled out in a low-cut champagne-colored number that left little to the imagination.

This picture scarcely does her justice, but it is nice enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom