Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

found on eBay .. someone need a metal adjustable Selmer barrel ?

As suggested by one of the members, I have mailed the auction owner no less than two questions about the barrel in question (one that I thought was enough to ask, and one that was specifically pointed about what was stamped on the back of the barrel). Although both questions were answered promptly (and, in the case the second time, accurately), neither has shown up on the auction.

The question as to pitch was direct and "yes or no" in nature, and (if posted on the auction) would have driven away virtually every other bidder. However, it did not show up. What gives here?

Are auction owners allowed to hide that sort of information? As it is, I know what I want to know, but putting up that it is for the LA (or A) clarinet would drive away those who do not have such an animal or are willing to take a chance on it.

Keep in mind he would have to confirm the answers / questions validity. I know many people ask me questions by email then simply don't believe me.

How many people know "LA" stands for "A" and "SIb" stands for Bb in relation to clarinets and how would one confirm that (easy with the internet). Few ever relate the fact that a foreign company may have something in a different language other than english.

after all, what is Depose and Brevette ... french words.

many may not even know what an "A" clarinet is, though this seller does know more than most.

Well...

...even though the two of them are of different lengths, there have been a few occasions where I grabbed for the Sib and ended up with the LA. Nothing like having to start transposing on the fly.

The moral of that story is to avoid playing bass in Bb, soprano in Bb and soprano in A together whenever possible.

I dunno about using copper based materials on anything with silver-plate on it (as these older Selmer horns were always silver plated). Some other extreme condition grease might be a better match.

Both metals are very reactive, and I would be concerned that the copper would "steal" other corrosion elements (like sulphur) from the silver and deposit in the workings of the tuner. Lithium, being another quite reactive metal, might pose the same problems.

Lithium in greases is chemically bound and effectively inert.

Copper in lubricants is the powdered metal, used to stop corrosion at high temps (like in exhaust manifold bolts). Probably little or no chance of any problems from using either. Silver plated copper/brass instruments don't react, although copper can migrate through gold and cause tarnish. .

Kev

Re the powdered metal, copper, in a lubricant:

Is the particle size such that there is no potential abrasion?

Chris

Those are the same photos, I think.

The recent auction mentions that it is for an A clarinet.

Has this just been relisted?

Chris

Those are the same photos, I think.

The recent auction mentions that it is for an A clarinet.

Has this just been relisted?

Chris

he's is also using the same pics for Selmer bells (pics of bells, not of the metal barrel), I know because I've been bidding on them.

So he's just being lazy and not taking a pic of the "actual" piece he's selling.

...and now we'll see what he delivers. Anything is better than the one with the horn, so it has to be an improvement.

what's the odds that he's going to be sending an alto clarinet neck instead ?
one can easily get them confused ... :)

A TUNEABLE alto clarinet neck/barrel! At last, the solution has been found!

with this new technology, I think the world is going to have a resurgence in the popularity of the alto clarinet !! :)

and we all have Terry to thank about it :p

Didn't Selmer, in a moment of weakness...

...actually have such an animal on its "pro" altos at one point? I've seen so few of them over the years that I can't say my memory is as sharp on this as it once was, but I have a fuzzy memory of such a picture from some point between 1964 (when I played such a beast for the very first music money that I ever earned) to the present.

They do (or did) exist...

...for I played in the Compton Heights Community Band (a famous, long-time Saint Louis institution) one season back in the 1960's, and their Eb player had one. And, it was in beautiful condition.

Back
Top Bottom