Fun With iPad!

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
If you don't read the business section in your newspaper, you might not have heard that Apple has launched a new iPad and iPad mini. Considering I'm a computer tech and I work with computer techs, we watched the "keynote" ("product launch") live.

A few notes:

* The iPad 4 does have some things over the iPad 3: it's faster and has a bit better camera. In the world of techie, we call this a "speedbump": faster, but no new functionality. However, what this also means is that the iPad 3 is now $120 cheaper. I'll talk more about that in a moment.

* The iPad mini is essentially an iPad 2, only smaller and with a better screen. If you'd like something that's more "book" sized (7.9" screen) and aren't worried about speed, it's not bad. However, my techie friends and I were shocked at the price: $329 for the "introductory" model. We were guessing what the price would be and this is $30 more than the highest guess.

As mentioned elsewhere, I own two iPad 1s. I've been wanting an upgrade in hardware because the current version of the iPad operating system ("iOS") does not work on the original iPad -- and the highest version that does is a little crashtastic.

The iPad 3 "refurbished" 16gb WiFi is now available directly from Apple for $379. That's $120 off list and also cheaper than most buy-it-now eBay ads. I can sell my iPad 16gb for about $250-275, get the iPad 3 and get 6 months same-as-cash. I also might be able to get a discount through the company I work for. Kewl.

Hey, if you wanna buy a nice original iPad with a snazzy Bluetooth keyboard/case, gimmee a yell ....

I use the iPad 1 64gig with the FORSCORE app great for reading music as PDFs and linking with my backing tracks. Can also turn the page

Well, as mentioned elsewhere, I sold my original iPad 32gb. That means that I went and bought a refurbished iPad 3 32gb. The only thing I didn't like: I had to pay tax on it.

There's been a push on a lot of the big-name online retailers to start charging sales tax. I'm not going to get all ranty on that, but that means eBayers are now selling the iPad 3 32gb for considerably less than Apple. $449, to be exact. My new toy was $469 before tax and $511 after. That's $62 more. Mind you, I have a full 1-year warranty, new battery and new back case. On eBay, you'll get the balance of the one year Apple warranty (the 3 was introduced in March, so you get at least a 4 month warranty) and ... that's it. I saw a couple other ads where you could buy a one year warranty for $83. I would suppose you could get an AppleCare+ two-year warranty for $99 IF the iPad you buy on eBay is new enough ....

=================

There have been a lot of reports -- well, in the tech community, at least -- of people not liking the new iPod/iPad 4/mini/iPhone 5 because they have a different kind of dock connector. That means that my wife's new car is no longer compatible with the new iPod/iPad 4/mini. Well, sorta. I could get an adapter for all of $29 -- and I'm pretty sure that there are non-name-brand adapters out there for less $, too. The "outrage" over the new connector amuses me because I'm a computer tech. I have to deal with connector incompatibilities and software compatibility problems all the time. Hey, when a new laptop comes into my office it's generally a 50-50 chance that the power adapter on the new laptop won't be the same one as the old laptop from the same company. That's standard operating procedure. As a matter of fact, Apple's changed an awful lot of connectors on their Macs an awful lot of times. NuBus cards? Apple Desktop Bus? Replaced by PCI and USB. Hey! No more SCSI port!

Gee, I'm old.

There have been a lot of reports -- well, in the tech community, at least -- of people not liking the new iPod/iPad 4/mini/iPhone 5 because they have a different kind of dock connector. That means that my wife's new car is no longer compatible with the new iPod/iPad 4/mini. Well, sorta. I could get an adapter for all of $29 -- and I'm pretty sure that there are non-name-brand adapters out there for less $, too. The "outrage" over the new connector amuses me because I'm a computer tech.
The main problem, as I understand it, is not the different connector per se, but that it will render eg iThingy speakers useless because the now-bigger devices (thanks to the connector) will no longer properly fit mechanically.

I do get that, but it still makes me wonder if some of the adapters could fit your iSpeaker. 'Course, you also don't have to go out and but a new iPad/iPod/etc.

Personally, I would have really liked to see Apple go with USB -- mini, micro, whatever -- because those are a standard, vast quantities are available and they're very robust (as in "well tested"). I would have even liked the magnetic connector that the Macbooks have been using for the past few years: even though they're proprietary, they're really, really good, especially if you have a high klutz quotient, like me, and could accidentally trip over the cable.

Yes, I'm playing hookey. I'll go back to studying in a bit.

So, I got an iPad 3 32gb WiFi. Refurb. From Apple. Sent to me direct from China.

Surprising things:

1. Shipped from China. It's a refurb, so I thought it'd be shipped from the US. It's even got a special refurb box. They didn't have that two years ago.
2. Shipped from China. Apple's got free shipping and it took four days to get to me.
3. It's really kewl. I thought it'd just be "nice."

I do really like the Retina display. I can tell the difference in sharpness without even havening to look at my wife's iPad 1. However, if I didn't get several extra bonuses -- I'll get to that in a minute -- I'd be a bit disappointed: it's not $250 better (i.e. the difference in price between what I got for my old iPad 1 and this). According to a friend of mine, who used to calibrate displays for a living, the Retina display on the new 13" Macbook is considerably better than the iPad 3 and the one on the new 15" Macbook is lifelike. In other words, when Apple comes out with a 27" or 30" Retina display in 2014 (rumored), it'll be fantabulous. Well, depending on how much RDF you've been exposed to, because it'll probably be $3000.

Anyhow, I mentioned that there are extras that make the upgrade worth it: the two cameras (video chat, etc.), SIRI, dictation, twice the speed, apps not randomly crashing, several of my apps that went to iOS 6 now work. All that and a better display? Yah. Definitely worth $250.

The iPad 3 is almost half as thick as the iPad 1. This became extremely apparent when I attempted to put my iPad 1 cover on the 3. Very, very loose. I think I'll splurge and get one of the fancy magnetic covers, rather than the $1 bubble-wrap letter pack I got from the grocery store. Maybe.

I don't exactly have high-processing-need apps. I do know that the iPad 4 is almost twice as fast, but I really don't need that extra speed for $130 more.

Final notes:
I did a full backup of my iPad 1 before getting the 3. Took about 2 hours (I have 123 apps). I did a restore when I got the iPad 3 and updated to iOS 6.0.1. Another two hours. Of course, I just pressed the buttons and did other things during that time. Just note that it's not immediate.

I did the same backup procedure for my wife's iPad 1. When I did the restore, a couple of her book apps -- Nook reader and something else -- required her to re-download her books. That'll take her awhile.

There is something I'd improve on the iPad. Well, two things: first, I'd love it if the glass was smudge-free. Heck, I'd love my glasses to be smudge free, too. Considering that they've had that problem for hundreds of years, I'm not holding my breath. Second, while the edges of the iPad 3 are "rounded," like all the other iPads, the slimness of the thing makes the edges feel a bit sharp. I'd like the glass and/or metal case to be a bit more beveled.

Back
Top Bottom