Gene Ammons "The Jug" on NPR

Sorry. I misread that as "Gene Simmons" and was wondering what he was doing in the jazz world.

Dyslexia: the gift that keeps giving.

Gene Simmons has his own personal issues to deal with this week.

I stopped reading the "Entertainment" section of the newspaper and stopped listening to the news about 1.5 years ago. I have a nicer view of humanity, now.

Plus, I'm heavily drugged. (Prescription!)

Nice article, thanks for posting that, Ed. I never had the pleasure of seeing Gene Ammons live, but I remember seeing him on tv. He was with the Herman band on the Al Hirt tv show right after his second release from incarceration. So this must have been the summer of '69. Gene was scuffling with his horn a little bit on this show, so he must have just been released.

My other personal memory having to do with Gene was a very small story told to me by my friend, the great trumpeter Johnny Coles. JC told me that when he was working in the Ammons band, they had driven 2 Chrysler New Yorker sedans from NYC to a gig in Oklahoma in like 28 or 29 hours. It seems that Gene liked the big, fast Chryslers. Gives you an idea what the road was like in the early '60s.

BTW,

http://www.spiralfrog.com has a fantastic selection of Gene Ammons albums that are available for free (and 100% legal) download.

You can't play them on your Ipod or Zune player, and you can't burn them to cd, but otherwise it's a real bonanza for Jug fans like me. Check out Bad Bossa: Jug plus 2 guitar players!

Back
Top Bottom