Getz and Coltrane

I've watched this video a number of times and I'm always struck by how each artist is true to themselves. Overall, I think Getz serves the tune better and I will argue to my final day that his tone is vastly superior to Coltrane's. Coltrane has a series of interesting lines and phrases but they somehow seem out of place. Obviously he is an amazing player but I prefer Getz.

What jumps out at me as I listen to the Hackensack (or Rifftide) video is that Trane is having to play his way around Oscar Peterson. OP comps in the same places that Trane places the phrases that he uses to get traction, or to gain momentum in his solo statements. So it seems to me that Oscar is in Tranes way. Conversely, Getz uses a more conventional pattern of placing his phrases, so he's more comfortable with Oscars way of comping. Had Wynton Kelly stayed in the piano chair (Oscar gets him up at the top of this), Trane's job on this tune would've been much easier.

But even with the redundancy, Trane plays royally on this.

Julian

What jumps out at me as I listen to the Hackensack (or Rifftide) video is that Trane is having to play his way around Oscar Peterson. OP comps in the same places that Trane places the phrases that he uses to get traction, or to gain momentum in his solo statements. So it seems to me that Oscar is in Tranes way. Conversely, Getz uses a more conventional pattern of placing his phrases, so he's more comfortable with Oscars way of comping. Had Wynton Kelly stayed in the piano chair (Oscar gets him up at the top of this), Trane's job on this tune would've been much easier.

But even with the redundancy, Trane plays royally on this.

Julian
Interesting. What went through my head when I read this how Getz might do with Monk at the piano (I hope people on this site will excuse my sense of humor - it does not traffic well in cyberspace).

There is Mulligan with Monk. Interesting recording.

True. Nothing unites like a common enemy.

So true ! :emoji_relaxed:
I see we have another "Project X" fan.

Getz is the man !

As for Coltrane, I have ALWAYS felt that much (not all) of his work was too contrived and not free flowing enough for my taste, regardless of his setting. He thought too much. I prefer less analysis and more flow.

Back
Top Bottom