Guess what followed me home today??!!

Carl H.

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Silver plated and virtually untouched, super minty!!

(was my clue too subtle?)

I'll say this, in a former life, Pete may have been interested in some good pics of this one.

I'll say this, in a former life, Pete may have been interested in some good pics of this one.
Minty Selmer SBA bari with low A? That'd be kewl, because I'd like one.

On a different tack, if we're shooting for "rare" in the senses of both "uncommon" and "worth a lot," the Conn-O would be a good answer.

However, I've recently re-read Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic and I can't but think of the Luggage ....

More hints

I bought this at an auction. While there I discovered the owner had moved into the house in 1939, and this was an auction of the property and the contents of the house (built around 1900). The house was in a somewhat less than stellar condition, it looked like it had seen ZERO maintenance to the interior in about 35 years, bad plaster, knob and tube wiring, minimal outlets almost a kitchenette in this small 2 story house on a double city lot. There was a record collection of mostly 78s and early LPs of pop music from the 30s to early 60s (I wish I had taken the time to inspect the collection!!!). There was also a WWII airforce enlisted man's dress uniform. NO ribbons or stripes.

The case looked like it had lived its most of its life inside the house - wear on the side handle, no wear on the end handle and some scuffing on the exterior of the original case. Dare I say silver plating is 100% complete? Yes, I do dare! :) I can now disprove a theory out there on the engraving occurring after plating of these saxes, this was clearly plated AFTER it was engraved.

I posted in repair and maintenance because I didn't look carefully when posting. All it needs is a mild hand polish, pivots & tubes cleaned and fresh lube applied- old lube is making the action a bit sluggish. Original pads look very good and it pops when snapping the keys.

That ought to give you an estimate of the vintage of the instrument. It was a very limited run of saxes - and not a stencil. As far as worth a lot, not 5 digit VI prices, but the ones like this that have sold weren't nearly in this condition and they were up there in value. A respected SOTW member in very high esteem and good standing paid $1500 for a rather worn example of this instrument a few years back.

I bet back in '39 the house this came from was a pretty nice little starter home to leave the missus at while he went off to war. Too bad it looks like he never had much cash after leaving the military.

Leblanc Le Rationnel? That's about the right date for one and it fits all the other hints. I am still interested in those, too!

=============

BTW, retread: I discovered Sir Pratchett's work many, many years ago. I've read all of the Discworld books -- or so I thought until I purchased I Shall Wear Midnight from Borders Books (at 90% off, too). That was the third book in the Tiffany Aching series: that's a series set in the Discworld 'Verse. I've also read most of his other books, too. Good Omens was quite interesting.

I also highly recommend the TV movie version of Hogfather -- and there are a couple more out there, according to Wikipedia.

An amusing video of the Luggage.

Not a Leblanc.

One more clue

This sax was made in the US.

O.K. I got it. It's a saxophone made by a manufacturer famous for brass instruments - Olds? I've only seen one - A tenor sax, which reminded me of a big freaking bent flute. the owner wanted minimal repairs, and I can't remember how it played.

Still, big credits in the unusual design category, and I love that stuff.

O.K. I got it. It's a saxophone made by a manufacturer famous for brass instruments - Olds? I've only seen one - A tenor sax, which reminded me of a big freaking bent flute. the owner wanted minimal repairs, and I can't remember how it played.

Still, big credits in the unusual design category, and I love that stuff.
We have a winner!
Olds Super sax.

Well, a winner *after* he saw the pics :p.

I'd be interested in hearing a review of the horn, after you've restored it.

Pretty horn. I venture to say it will play exactly like a Martin Indiana, Medalist, Handcraft, Imperial, Olds Ambassador, Wurlitzer Lyric, Standard, Belmont, or Dick Stabile, as they all had the same identical neck/body tube/tone hole sizes and placement (the handcraft had a split bell keys and aux Eb, but was otherwise identical) - and that is to say, very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom