Help ID This Eb

Got this Eb for a great price. Needs work but seems to be pretty nice. Only markings are "E flat LP" on both joints and the number "1(or I)660" on the lower joint. Attaching a couple of pictures. Just curious who the maker might be. And it's age. Appreciate any info.
1000002622.jpg
1000002623.jpg

Hmm ... if there are no maker logos then it might be a stencil?
When I first saw this I was clueless. It's an advanced Albert upper and lower joint (which is important if one wants to peruse tons of pictures to try and identify it), although it still has spooned keys.

Unmarked instruments, as you have mentioned were probably a stencil. And this one would be a really, really old stencil.
looking at the trill key guide I would think it's probably german.
So .. taking another wild guess, made in the Markneukirchen region (home of german musical instrument manufacturing for centuries) in Germany. Germany liked wrap around register vents too.

Yes I know the french did a short stint with them too before abandoning it.
It's not a simple Albert, so that can help date it to the late 1800s or early 1900s. The french seemed proud and stamped their instruments "made in france" for a very long time. German, the old ones, a lot didn't have a mark on it.
So it could be a Cousenon or Jean Marbeau or a wide variety of other french makers. But you'd have to search for an advanced Albert with spooned keys, 3 trill keys, top front wraparound, etc and that would take considerable time and still not be 100% certain nor even 50% certain.

I know most people with an "unkown" really want it ID'd as a Buffet, just because. But I wouldn't put any money on it.
Unless this was given as a gift one has to know what they are buying before they actually buy it.

back in the old days before World War II you had major manufacturers and 2nd and 3rd level ones. The lower level ones would buy parts from the major makers (like Malerne, etc) and make their own instruments, whether only a few or a big bunch. This as prevalent in France and Germany. Many people moonlighted from the major makers, and many started their own companies. So with no markings, it's just what it is.
It could be Swiss too, amongst other countries that also made instruments no matter the volume.

Another thing you may want to research is if german makers also made HP and LP instruments and marked them as such over a hundred years ago. I have no idea but I assumed they did.

Check the bottom of the bell, there might be some markings on it.

When I first saw this I was clueless. It's an advanced Albert upper and lower joint (which is important if one wants to peruse tons of pictures to try and identify it), although it still has spooned keys.

Unmarked instruments, as you have mentioned were probably a stencil. And this one would be a really, really old stencil.
looking at the trill key guide I would think it's probably german.
So .. taking another wild guess, made in the Markneukirchen region (home of german musical instrument manufacturing for centuries) in Germany. Germany liked wrap around register vents too.

Yes I know the french did a short stint with them too before abandoning it.
It's not a simple Albert, so that can help date it to the late 1800s or early 1900s. The french seemed proud and stamped their instruments "made in france" for a very long time. German, the old ones, a lot didn't have a mark on it.
So it could be a Cousenon or Jean Marbeau or a wide variety of other french makers. But you'd have to search for an advanced Albert with spooned keys, 3 trill keys, top front wraparound, etc and that would take considerable time and still not be 100% certain nor even 50% certain.

I know most people with an "unkown" really want it ID'd as a Buffet, just because. But I wouldn't put any money on it.
Unless this was given as a gift one has to know what they are buying before they actually buy it.

back in the old days before World War II you had major manufacturers and 2nd and 3rd level ones. The lower level ones would buy parts from the major makers (like Malerne, etc) and make their own instruments, whether only a few or a big bunch. This as prevalent in France and Germany. Many people moonlighted from the major makers, and many started their own companies. So with no markings, it's just what it is.
It could be Swiss too, amongst other countries that also made instruments no matter the volume.

Another thing you may want to research is if german makers also made HP and LP instruments and marked them as such over a hundred years ago. I have no idea but I assumed they did.

Check the bottom of the bell, there might be some markings on it.
Steve,
Thanks so much for the info. At least I have some possible avenues to look into. Your knowledge is amazing! Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom