Help with model identification

Just looking for opinions on a horn I'm looking at online...being sold as nothing spectacular and with a price to match ;)

The barrel is stamped as an E&S Master Model, and matches all pics of that instrument's mark on Steve's site.

The rest of the body, however, just has the regular Buffet stamp on it. Am I correct in that, at the time of the E&S, none of those instruments would have had that logo on them?

I just gave the seller rather clear directions on where he might find a serial number, so hopefully that will help, and I've got no good pictures for identification either. So I figure at this point the body could be anything from an E11 to an R13.

Was really hoping to snag an old Master Model, but it's sounding more and more like I'm looking at a barrel from one and an entirely different instrument. Would you all agree? Thanks!

I've not seen too many E&S Master Models, but what I see on Steve's website matches what I've seen: "Master Model" stamped on the joints(s) and bell.

(For those of you who are wondering what we're talking about, check out http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clsnBuffet.htm#Evette.)

Here's a good picture, too: http://www.musicremasters.com/clarinuts/images/C778al.jpg

If you want an opinion, I'd skip this horn you're looking at online. Whenever I see an ad with no picture and I have questions about the instrument described, it's definitely something to skip.

==============

As an aside, I've already mentioned MusicRemasters in this thread and the reason I like 'em is because they have overhauled, warrantied horns for sale. If you're not looking for high-end professional, there's a nice-looking Selmer Signet Soloist on their website for $588. The Signet Soloist has some adherents on this website. But if you've got the Buffet bug, you might want to mention what you're looking for and we might be able to point you in the right direction!

Evette and Schaeffer, and all models from professional to E13 (as long as they are 1960s or younger, don't know the exact date), should be identifiable in the Buffet serial number lookup on their web site.

That said, if an E&S, then it will be stamped as such on UJ and LJ and bell (and barrel). If wooden and no model markings the instrument may be an R13 in all but the barrel, and therefore could be a bargain if the price is low.

You need to get the serial numbers of the LJ and UJ (obviously they should be the same!...) and feed it into Buffet web site:
http://www.buffet-crampon.com/en/instruments.php

Below is a copy of a post I made on the Clarinet BB to interpret the Buffet code:

Chris

Re BC1112
...BC = Buffet Crampon
.....11 = Bb
.......12 = RC

Below is a collation of information from the BB regarding common info on Buffet site

Model designation n�1 indicates polycylindrical bore
Am�rique appears to be the designation for an R13 made for American market

It looks like that if there are no other codes, it is assumed to be a R13

Decoding the letter and number sequence

For a sequence such as BCxxyy(c)-d-e ...............

BC = Buffet Crampon

xx
This specifies the key, with
11 = Bb (old code, SiB=Bb)
12 = A (old code, La=A)
15 = Eb (old code, MiB=Eb)
17 = F

yy
This specifies the model, with
02 = E13
12 = RC
31 = R13
83 = Prestige RC Bass to Eb
93 = Prestige RC Bass to low C
23 = Basset

c
Optional code, meaning
G = greenline
L = Left hand Eb lever

d
Specifies key plating, where
02 = silver
05 = nickle

e
Specifies pitch
0 = 440
2 = 442
4 = 444

So

BC1131(L)-02-0 equals a Bb (11) R13 (31) with a LH Eb lever (L) with silver plated keys (02) tuned to 440 (0)

Information attributed to Jack Kissinger and Francois Kloc

Thanks guys!! Seller insists there isn't a serial number at all, so I think I'll pass!

Pete - Not necessarily looking for anything in particular, just shopping :p Thanks for the link though! THAT Master Model looks very nice...

on eBay there is a MM barrelled Evette clarinet. Evette body joints (not E&S) with a masterModel barrel. it's way overpriced

earlier there was a E&S for BIN 275 which was nice
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150415323106&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I have some K series E&S's i'm refurbing to sell in the near future too. They are very nice instruments slightly better sounding (IMHO) than the E11s though the keywork on the E11s is superb.

Back
Top Bottom