Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

Help with yamaha 304b tenor

Discussion in 'Recorders' started by vikingLeif, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Hi,
    I just purchased a Yamaha YRT 304B tenor recorder (the one with the pair of keys for the lowest pair of holes, right hand pinky finger) and I'm just having a devil of a time getting it to produce the low C and occasionally D. They both sound an octave higher than they should. I'm betting this is pretty likely caused by poor finger placement (not covering all the holes). I can sometimes get the low D by descending from a good E or F then E but the C almost always goes immediately to the higher octave, even after achieving the low D. also there seems to be no pitch difference between C and C# and both are jumping up in octave when I attempt them.
    Is this just a Practice Practice Practice issue or have others had a tough time with this too? I've tried pressing my fingers harder over the other holes and adjusting my hand/finger positions over the holes but have yet to find the right technique that works consistently. Any tips would be much appreciated. I don't have an issue with reaching any of the holes just sealing them (I think).

I love the sound I get otherwise, I'm just really struggling with the lowest notes.

2. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Admin and all around good guy. Staff Member Administrator

Have you pinged Yamaha yet. I'd love to hear their answer to this as I have this same problem. Makes me wonder if I'd be happier with an EWI.

Our staff's websites: