Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Here We Go Again

If you put it in the fuel tank of your car, it can run on WATER!

Isn't the translation, "The Freak"? Hey, I took Latin in high school and college.

Anyhow, I wonder if Cannonball will sue. They do have that patent for putting rocks at "nodes" (something similar to that; really!) to impact an instrument's sound. Looks like The Freak is claiming to do the same thing. Without rocks, of course.

(I think we have a Cannonball rep that views this 'site. I probably shouldn't give him ideas, but it'd be fun to sit back and watch this fight. I wonder if each company would have to prove, in court, that their products do what they claim.)

Anyhow, I wonder if Cannonball will sue. They do have that patent for putting rocks at "nodes" (something similar to that; really!) to impact an instrument's sound. Looks like The Freak is claiming to do the same thing. Without rocks, of course.
And others claim their thumb cushion does it, or their ligature doohickey.

Sometimes I wish I had a patent on snake oil and all potential derivates, in whatever state of aggregation.

In the meantime I'm contemplating some kind of external fixation for my clarinet; I'm sure it transmits the vibrations even better, with the additional benefit of being quite the eyecatcher.

I've got an external device that makes the sound SOOOOOooo much fuller and richer.
SVT410HE.jpg

and it does, too!

And others claim their thumb cushion does it, or their ligature doohickey.

Sometimes I wish I had a patent on snake oil and all potential derivates, in whatever state of aggregation.

In the meantime I'm contemplating some kind of external fixation for my clarinet; I'm sure it transmits the vibrations even better, with the additional benefit of being quite the eyecatcher.
I know! A WF contest to come up with the best sounding snake-oil pitch! That'd be awesome. I'm 100% serious on that, too.

I think that a lot of folks try to say that all instruments are like the violin: the wood it's made out of makes an incredible difference because the sole purpose of the big wooden shape is to amplify the instrument's sound. It is, as Carl H points out, a gigantic speaker and some speakers are just better than others. If you take away that big ol' wooden body and leave just the spine intact, the violin still sounds like a violin, but one that's being played in the next room over and the door's shut.

This isn't to say that your woodwind instrument doesn't vibrate. It does, but it's a very small component of the sound. Hey, people should focus an awful lot more on the mouthpiece and reed setup than what the horn's made out of. You can make a lot of arguments that say that significantly influences the sound of your performance. Of course, then you have to tackle the question of what the mouthpiece is made out of ....

I tend to subscribe to the "closest to the brain" theory. In other words, the effective influence on your sound starts at the brain, and decreases the farther you move away from it (airflow, tongue, mouthpiece / reed, neck, etc.)

My new product (still in the design stage but soon to be patented) is a Brain Wave Focus Reflector. Using the latest in NASA developed foil reflective technology, the BWFR will cause your musical brain waves to be focused and reflected in a downward stream to the back of your throat, where a second oscillating reflector will channel them forward through the oral cavity to the mouthpiece and into your horn. The highly focused brain waves will transform your instrument into a vibrant living thing with awesome tone, and keys that anticipate the movement of your fingers.

The marketing plan for this amazing device will include late night infomercials. Only $19.99 (plus shipping and handling*), with a full money back guarantee (just pay S&H for the return). And, if you act right now, we'll send you a second Brain Wave Focus Reflector for just the price of shipping and handling*. That's two Brain Wave Focus Reflectors for only $19.99 (plus shipping and handling*) Order now, and be the first to receive this great new product.

* Shipping and handling is only $99.99 per product.

yes, look for the black van or the black helicopter, depending on what you won...

Back
Top Bottom