Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

High E facilitator

I often think about having this done to mine....even though E3 isn't really a problem for me.
Any con's to this procedure ? Intonation ?
Does it mess up certain trills/tremolos ?

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
The high E facilitator is sold by J.L. Smith in both aluminum and delrin plastic. They are sold by the size of the tonehole. The only negative I have heard about the "donuts" is that they help but are not as good as the split G key in producing an easy to play high E.

http://www.jlsmithco.com/E-FAC/HIGH-E-FACILITATOR-ALUM-510

John
Nice thing about the insert is that it doesn't go out of adjustment.

I wish I'd gotten my flute with a split E and an offset G, but I'm managing OK with the donut and a finger rest to help me cope with the inline G.

I had Jeff install one of the aluminum ones on my Yamaha flute a while back. I've since sold it, and haven't had a need for one in my Haynes. What a difference on the Yamaha though. At the time I was just learning flute because I needed it for pit orchestras, and I was having a lot of problems getting the high E's out. Overnight they were coming out clearer and with little to no double toning down to A2.

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I've installed them on flutes for pro players - mostly doublers. Yamaha flutes, which I think are very good, seem to benefit the most from the insert.
Everyone who comes to me for repairs seems to be in a hurry, so I make the inserts myself.
I was surprised at the size of the insert that I copied, but everybody likes it.
Yes, there are split E flutes that constantly go out of adjustment. I think the facilitator is a better choice. Simplicity = fewer problems.