History and Restoration Info

After more than four decades, I decided to see if I could bring my Clarinet to life. It's a NOBLET/Paris, ser# 19848. Seems that some tarnish has set in too!

Does anyone know where I can find historical information on this instrument? Also, is there a recommended procedure for removing tarnish?

Thanks

After more than four decades, I decided to see if I could bring my Clarinet to life. It's a NOBLET/Paris, ser# 19848. Seems that some tarnish has set in too!

Does anyone know where I can find historical information on this instrument? Also, is there a recommended procedure for removing tarnish?

Thanks

A tarnish removal process I have used effectively is as follows:

- Immerse the key in Tarnex or similar tarnish removing liquid.
- Rinse in clear water and dry.
- Spray lightly with Haggerty's silver spray polish.
- Buff the key with a clean soft cloth or soft buffing wheel.

Thanks

historical information
http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clsnLeblancNoblet.htm#EmblemNoblet

polishing keys at home (here on this forum)
http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2325

A tarnish removal process I have used effectively is as follows:

- Immerse the key in Tarnex or similar tarnish removing liquid.
- Rinse in clear water and dry.
- Spray lightly with Haggerty's silver spray polish.
- Buff the key with a clean soft cloth or soft buffing wheel.

John, do you use that process for nickel and silver ?

Silver polish on nickel might = problem. I know that silver polish on brass = black.

John, do you use that process for nickel and silver ?

Just for silver. My experience with nickle plated keys such as those found on student clarinets is that the nickle doesn't "tarnish" as such, but turns a dull grey. Hitting those very lightly with a buffing wheel and tripoli usually brings back the shine.

Back
Top Bottom