Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

How to identify Selmer Bass Clarinet

I apologize in advance if this is not the place for this...My parents purchased this "Selmer USA" bass clarinet brand new in 1995-1996. I cannot find any identifying marks other than "Selmer USA". I do not know anything else about this instrument, I was hoping to find the type of clarinet it is, where to find the serial number and possibly the approximate value. My camera is not very good, and I wasn't really sure what to capture, so I apologize for that as well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 731
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 891
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 634
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 745
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,304
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 667
Yep, right place.
The serial number should be on the back somewhere, probably at the top or bottom of the center joint (as this has a one-piece body) or above/below the thumbrest.
As for what type, it's a student level Bass Clarinet.
On value I don't know, though eBay is probably a pretty good indicator of anything's value.

Thanks! I over looked it. I figured it was a student model, but I still cannot find anything about it on google or ebay. 76141..Any sites you may suggest?

I'd first recommend getting a better camera :p. Or ask a friend to take some pics with his phone.

The horn's plastic, yes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Selmer USA and Bundy have been around forever (OK, since the 19-teens). You can't stick around that long if your horns suck.

* Serial numbers for "harmony" clarinets -- i.e. any clarinet pitch other than Bb soprano -- are usually screwed up and the best recommendation is to call the manufacturer. However, it looks like you bought the horn "new." While it's always possible the horn was "unused" and had been sitting on a shelf for 50 years, it's probably from the 1990s. Contact Conn-Selmer if you want to be very sure.
* It's a Bb bass clarinet with keyed range to low Eb. I think you knew that :).
* I can't really tell anything about the condition because the pics are so poor. Condition is the #1 thing that will determine value. If you're looking for replacement value, for insurance or something, just look online for a new horn. A new Selmer USA 1430 bass is $1869 US (plastic).

I just searched for completed auctions on eBay and found a horn with a serial number not far from yours. It sold for $455. Here's another, also with a close serial number, that sold for $550.

Thanks for all your help. It still sounds good, but it looks pretty tarnished. I'm not sure if it just needs some polishing, or if the actual coating just rubbed off over time, it has not been out of the case for a good 15 years.

Maybe these pictures are a little better with the daylight...I am not sure if it is nickel plated or silver (I am assuming nickel) I am not so sure I want to sell, I have been having a lot of fun with it since getting it out, despite the one broken reed...8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 99% certain it's nickel. That's more cosmetic than anything. You can attempt to polish the keywork (use a non-abrasive, non-tarnishing polish specifically for nickel plate), not bother, or get it replated.

One of the good things about plastic and hard rubber horns is that you don't have to worry as much about the horn splitting or cracking from improper storage. You still have to worry about pads, corks, and felts, but that's generally less of an expense than trying to get a cracked horn fixed properly.

Gandalfe is right about repairs. However, let's say the horn's worth $550 -- a bit on the high end, but we're just doing an example -- I see a bunch of completed bass clarinet sales for under $550 on eBay. Some horns are (allegedly) overhauled, even. So, if the cost of a full overhaul is under $550, just get it repaired and keep it. An eBay rule of thumb is to assume that any instrument will need at least $330 in repairs, regardless of what condition the seller says it is. Another thing you could do is trade it in on something. That's sometimes the best value.

FWIW, I really enjoyed playing bass clarinet and would still love to play one. If I could.

Back
Top Bottom