I need to identify my instrument

Hi all,

Sorry if it's not the place to post but I'm out of ideas from where to get help.

I have an instrument that belonged to my greatgrandfather who at one point served in Swedish Royal castle. Not sure when and as who.
My guess it's a fanfare from around 1900. Made by Hess Musikinstrument Fabrik. There's really no more solid info I can gather from the internet. Please help in any way.

Could it be from 1890? I found a trumpet that looks realllly similar and was dated 1890. Then again it's said Hess started producing brass from 1925. And what to make of the markings on the fanfare?

Hello. Welcome to the Woodwind Forum.

Well, although this is not a woodwind, you happened to find me as your Administrator. I happen to have a fascination with German-made saxophones, and own quite a few of them. I research obscure, vintage brands, and get their stories told through mine, and other saxophone websites.

All this to say that Hess is a name I have come across before, and have this article that might interest you that contains vintage catalogue pages. Yes, it's about saxophones, but it has company history that may fill in some info for you.

I'll have to check what else I can dig up. I have many old catalogues that I didn't upload to my gallery yet--including the Hess one. There may be brass wind pages in it. I'll have to find it in my archives. I'll also do some more research.

Plus Pete, one of our other Admins, may also have something related to Hess. If he's not too busy, he may very well chime in as well.

Either way, I'll get back to you over the weekend and let you know what I find either in my files, or through German search engines.

Hello Helen,

Thank you! That was an interesting read and I would love to read anything else you could dig up!

I appreciate your willingness to put effort in it, it helps me a ton.

* Chime * I studied for about 6 hours. I need a break.

Looks like a baroque-style (aka "natural") trumpet. Reproduction, of course. No idea about the pitch. No idea about the value.

This is by Fa. Ernst Hess, a manufacturer that was in Klingenthal before WWII and Munich-Puchheim after, so it was made prior to 1945. There's a German website that'll give you a bit more information on the horn: http://www.museum-markneukirchen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=776. Dr. Weller is one of the respected researchers of Germanic instruments and is very active there, so even if you have to e-mail him or post in English, he'll probably get back to you fairly quickly.

Some other places you might check out:

Horn-U-Copia.net
TrumpetMaster.net

Both of these get into researching odd brands of brasswinds and should be able to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom