I'm not dead, yet.

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
However, that may be re-evaluated in the near future.

I took a few months off because I've been and still am studying for some certifications (I'm a computer security guy). Work has also gotten VERY busy, my family was sick, I still am sick, and my big, white doggie has something that the vets have been unable to figure out. She seems OK, other than a large tumor on her neck. Only other symptom is that she now snores.

I'm going to try to catch up on a few of the threads I've missed in the past few months. It'll take a while.

Welcome back. I don't recommend dying, it tends to disrupt life and one's wellbeing.

Last April I had a Subarachnoid hemorrhagic stroke which I had to be resuscitated from.
So ... I've slowed down even more from the cancer junk 7 years ago.
I only tend to manage maybe at most five things to do. If I have more important things then other things are just pushed aside.
I'm not online much and that can get pushed aside for a while sometimes.

family, work, health are the top 3. I have my kids and I take care of my aging parents too.
I can't really drive a distance .. I get hallucinations from faster moving objects as one example. 'ya know .. fun stuff.

I keep trying to ignore the age thing. You know, my siblings, family, friends and such. I still feel much younger than that damn mirror tried to tell me I am. I am glad this forum has life in it, it can be a very nice reference as well as community.
1709830954879.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JfW
I keep trying to ignore the age thing.

Yes, I did too, unfortunately, I woke up about a month ago with a non functioning left hand, due to
"severe multiple mononeuropathies"

I used real technology back in 1983 ... character recognition computers ... or PDA/Computer
I also used that Compaq too. Columbia, Osborne ... what a time to be in technology. Luckily I didn't have to lug any of those around.

Attachments

• CasioDataBanka.jpg
    CasioDataBanka.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 31
A techie friend asked me, a little while ago, what's the oldest computer I have. Up until recently, I had a Macintosh Plus. That'd be late 80s. I'm pretty sure I have a Macbook Core 2 Duo stashed someplace. That'd be around 2007.

I recently (last several years) threw away an old PC compatible with an 8086 processor that had a turbo feature on it. I still have the Harddrive though.

The oldest mac is this one collecting dust on a shelf. It looks too good to throw away.
When the kids move out and I get a study room back. My book collection along with this is going to adorn the room. It still works (last time I tried using it) and it has the Mac version of Word, Excel, etc on it.

Think I have an iPod Touch v1 laying around somewhere too. Nothing of the days of Apple ][+, //e, ///, LISA / XL and the original cute MacIntosh. Though I still may have software from back in the day like PageMaker v1 for Mac.

Attachments

• Mac old.JPG
    Mac old.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Somewhere in a moving box in my storeroom, I have a Palm Pilot III (1999), the charging / data transfer dock, and a CD of the software. If the battery hasn't died, I bet it will still work, but I need to find a computer with a serial port to connect the dock.

ooh I had one of those US Robotics/Palm Pilot 5000 and a Palm Treo 650 and I think a Palm III
of course the only thing I can find is the Palm One carry case which has been behind the desk for a very long time ...
I kept those Palms in that Franklin Planner book binder calendar thing that many people used back then.

Attachments

• PalmOne_a.jpg
    PalmOne_a.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 18
Ooooh. I didn't think to check my old Franklin Planner. I did have a pocket for the Palm there. Maybe it's in the same box that I can't find.

The oldest mac is this one collecting dust on a shelf. It looks too good to throw away.
iMac G4. The lamp G4! I don't remember ever setting these up for anybody, so I was probably working at one of the few non-Mac companies I worked at.

I find most Macs to be very pretty. The Quadras and IIs being the exceptions ... but they were generally pretty easy to open up and work on. Starting about 5 or so years ago, the iMacs started using a laminated glass panel over their display, rather than a sheet of glass held on by magnets. I think that was a really bad move on Apple's part.

I should also mention a couple ancient machines I found in my previous job at the same company I work for: several old tablets that required a graphics pen and, if I remember the model right, a Toshiba Libretto. The libretto had maybe a 5" color screen and you could dock it to use a monitor with it. I found an ancient PCMCIA network card for it and used it to test network ports. The dongle for the network card would flash if the port was good.

Back
Top Bottom