Im trying to gain some info about a couple of alto saxophones I have

I have a silver saxophone that is engraved Standard American by the serial number it says Low A with a 6 digit serial number. The tone holes are rolled and beveled the pads look like a fabric material. The other is a Shenkelaars with a 5 digit serial number, this one I know was purchased sometime early 1960. Im just trying to find out any information. My uncle played the Shenkelaars, I then played it in the 5th and 6th grade then again in high school. Now my daughter is playing it in 5th grade and it has a richer sound than any modern sax. It needs some pad and alignment work. The Standard American I just picked up today and it looks to be in mint condition, It has been played there is some tarnish on some of the side keys where the the oils of the hands would make contact but that is it. I would appreciate any information anyone may have IMG_20130605_195149_064.jpgIMG_20130605_195158_152.jpg

Looks like a very old Martin stencil, based on the tone hole chimneys. No front F key, so probably 1920's. Pete?

Looks like a very old Martin stencil, based on the tone hole chimneys. No front F key, so probably 1920's. Pete?
The tone holes look similar but there is no tone hole on the back and there is an extra one on the front. It could be two different styles, the sample that I found said low tone and mine says low A.

Low = "Low Pitch" = modern intonation, where a concert A=440hz.
A = "Alto"

You neither have an alto/soprano pitched in A -- which would be interesting, to say the least -- nor do you have a saxophone with a low A key. In the former case, there isn't an alto/soprano in A. In the latter case, all you have to do is count the toneholes on the bell.

The horn you have is a Martin Handcraft Standard stencil and, without the neck, it looks like an Eb alto. It's easy to tell the make/model because of the unique offset forked Eb vent under the low D key. As the Handcraft Standard was produced from 1935ish to 1938ish, your horn is either late 1930s or early 1940s. The serial number doesn't help on a stencil. Why I place the date of manufacture toward the end-run of the Handcraft Standard into the 1940s is because US stencils were generally introduced after the non-stencil had been around for a bit.

For more info, you might want to check out my original Saxpics.com article, my little photo essay on the Martins and Edwin van Druten's The Martin Story website.

Since I moved the thread into the appropriate forum, let me also mention that the horn is valued at somewhere around $150 to $200. You definitely need all new pads, corks and felts ($400 to $700). Based on my experience with older Martins, you probably also need all new springs ($150-$200). The silver plate can be cleaned, if desired, either by a shop ($50-$150) or by yourself with a liquid, non-abrasive, non-tarnishing polish for silver plate (don't use Brasso, unless you like black horns). I don't see any other major damage, but you also have only two pics. Maximum value of the horn, after all repairs, is going to be less than $500. If you're just going to sell the horn, don't do anything with it. Just repost it on eBay.

==============

Shenkelaars did not produce their own saxophones. They purchased horns from other companies and stenciled their name on them. I can't tell you anything about the horn without some pics. Check out the rules and FAQs we have listed to get an idea of what would help us to help you.

Pete, as late as the 30s Nartin was producing a horn with no front F? That surprises me.

Well, it is a stencil, after all. You've also gotta remember the Martin Home Model C tenor, which had a reduced keyed range of C to C and very few "helper" keys, was also kickin' around in the 1920s. I've also read that Buescher and Conn had the front F as an add-on for several years, before they standardized.

If you compare the OP's horn with the one I linked to, you can see that the front F isn't like how Buescher and Conn did it -- i.e., just add a bit of metal -- but there's an extra rod, some connecting pieces and some other keywork. You could also make the argument that the upper stack keywork is from an older Handcraft. They didn't really have a front F until the Master ("Typewriter") models in 1928/9.

Finally, the Handcraft Committee was available at the same time as the Standard. You could definitely rabbit trail regarding second lines and the Indiana Band Instrument Company horns.

In any event, I just think that the OP's horn looks too much like a Handcraft Standard not to be one, particularly because of the US manufacture, beveled toneholes and unique Eb vent.

My first Alto Sax, bought used in 1972 is nearly identical to this one...As I recall, mine says 'William Frank & Co. - Chicago' on the bell. My parents paid $ 65 for it and I played it for a couple of years before moving on to a newer, better horn (first a gold plated Conn 'Chu' - then a Mark VI). I still have the William Frank Alto although I haven't played it in MANY years...don't have the Conn anymore...still have the VI.

Back
Top Bottom